28 - Time to Pick Some Names

In the days off after the sports festival, we relaxed to let our injuries recover, and then we resumed class again today. As per the usual routine, Kacchan and I rode the train to school. It was packed as always, so the two of us stood extremely close together. I didn't want to look at Kacchan with my red face, so I kept flipping through my phone.

"Excuse me. Excuse me," said a man standing behind me. "Ms. Takami from the U.A. hero class, right?"

"Yeah?" I said.

The man gave me a thumbs-up. "Good job at the sports festival! You were so close!"

Other people turned in my direction:

"You were in the top sixteen finalists!"

"You were so cool!"

"Though she's smaller than I expected."

"She reminds me of when I was young."

"Yeah, she's trying really hard."

"Do your best, hero!"

"I-I will...!" I nervously replied to them all.

Kacchan got angry that I received so much attention, though I wasn't very happy about it either, honestly. He grabbed my hand, angrily glaring at everyone around to stay back. "Damn extras," he cursed.

"Play nice, Kacchan. Don't want to set off an explosion in here," I said, smiling and leaning my forehead against his chest.

He looked away from my bright face, pouting. "I know."

We soon got off the train and walked the rest of the way to school. The attention from the crowds somehow drained my energy. "It's only morning, but I'm already super tired," I said, using my wings as umbrellas.

Kacchan forced my wings to fold up while he covered us both with his own umbrella. He grumbled, "You should've just ignored all those extras."

"I can't help it, and it's not like they asked for anything too personal."

We heard a voice from behind us. "Good morning, Takami! Bakugo!"

We found a familiar glasses-wearer racing up to us. "Iida? Wearing a poncho?" I yelped back in surprise.

"Why are you two walking so slowly? You're going to be late!"

When Iida sprinted past us, Kacchan shoved me behind him to keep Iida from splashing me with water. Then the hedgehog barked at him, "What are you talking about, Glasses? There are still five minutes until the first bell!"

"U.A. students should always arrive ten minutes early—" He tripped just after making it through the front gate. I stifled a laugh.

The three of us stepped through the front doors. I went to change out my rain boots for my usual brown slippers while Kacchan went off ahead to class.

Iida put away his jacket nearby. I cautiously approached him. "Iida, um..."

"If it's about my brother, there is no need to worry. I apologize for worrying you needlessly," Iida said and gave a warm smile before walking away.

Is there no need to worry though...?

I headed upstairs to the classroom, where the only thing anyone was talking about was the sports festival. "It's different when they broadcast the matches on TV after all, huh? So many people talked to me on my way here!" Mina said.

"Yeah, me too!" Kirishima replied.

"People were staring at me, too. It was kind of embarrassing!" Toru beamed.