64 - Nothing But Fools

Shoto kept me company the rest of the day, except for when the doctor came in to conduct my exam. "No! I appreciate it, but I don't need any support!" I yelled as I shoved my friend towards the door. "Go get yourself a drink or something. I'll message you when I'm all done."

And I slammed the door in his face.

"A good friend?" laughed the doctor.

A dramatic sigh escaped my lips. "Let's go with that."

With most of my injuries fully healed and nearly all the pain gone, the doctor cleared me to be discharged from the hospital. I was overjoyed, of course, but not because I'd be going straight home.

I called Mitsuki and Masaru to let them know. They insisted on picking me up immediately. Considering my plans for the evening, I denied them and asked to get picked up tomorrow or the day after. When they asked where I'd be staying, I answered: "At a friend's house."

I feel a little bad lying to them, but it's for Kacchan's sake!

After the call, Shoto and I snacked and talked for the remaining few hours. The two of us took down the box of Pocky and all the juice boxes from Mr. Aizawa, and we nearly emptied the vending machine.

When 7 o'clock finally rolled around, I changed out of my hospital clothes and into the outfit left by Mitsuki, tying Kacchan's scarf around my neck. Shoto and I met up with Kirishima outside the hospital and anxiously waited for anyone else to come join us.

"I wonder what Momo decided," I said, gazing out at the empty street, the many-eyed buildings, and the bustling nightlife. Just above them all sat the moon, bright and clear without any clouds to obscure its view.

"Well, no matter how fired up we are, we can't go anywhere without her," replied Shoto.

I made a face. "True."

"Ah! She's here!" gasped Kirishima.

Just as I turned around, Momo stepped through the hospital's automatic doors. She seemed a bit hesitant, but she kept her gaze locked onto the three of us. At times, she did glance back over her shoulder.

She had a shadow!

"Midoriya?"

I gazed at them both.

"Yaoyorozu, what's your answer?" Kirishima asked.

She struggled to get her words out. "I—"

"Wait!"

My eyes widened.

Our class president approached us from the street.

Just as before, Iida had his teeth bared and fists clenched. "Of all people, you guys should know better! Especially you three, the ones who stopped me when I acted recklessly for personal reasons. You three, who received a special pardon in the end with me. Why are you trying to make the same mistake I did?! This is foolish!"

"What are you talking about?" Kirishima asked, visibly confused.

Shoto put a hand on his shoulder.

"We're still minors under protection," Iida continued. "And U.A. is already in a bad enough position, facing hard times as it is. Who do you think will have to take responsibility for your actions?!"

"That's not how it is, Iida. We don't think it's okay to break the rules either—" Iida lunged forward and punched Deku in the face.

We all yelped in surprise.

"I have regrets, too, and, of course, I'm worried! I'm your class president! Naturally, I worry about my classmates!! Not just Bakugo!!" He lifted his head and cast me a glance. "It's just as Haruki said. Seeing you all hurt reminded me of my injured brother!! What happens when your little vigilante act takes you somewhere there's no coming back from? Are you saying you don't give a damn about that?!" He clutched Deku's shoulders. "Are you saying you don't care about how I feel here?!"