29 - Internship Start

We soon approached the first day of our internships. Mr. Aizawa met us all at the train station to see us off. "You all have your costumes, right?" he asked. Everyone responded by holding out their costume cases. "Remember, you aren't allowed to wear them in public. Don't drop them or anything."

"Yessir!" Mina cheered.

"Speak clearly! It's 'yes, sir,' Ashido."

She frowned, feeling singled out. "Yes, sir."

We all laughed.

"Make sure you all mind your manners with the heroes at your internships! Off with you, now." He waved a hand.

"Yes, sir!" replied the class.

"I can't wait!" Toru cheered. I said goodbye to her and the other girls, wishing everyone good luck.

Iida walked past me, heading off to board a train for Hosu City.

"Iida!" Deku yelled, running after him. I followed. Iida wouldn't look at us. "If you ever feel hopeless, make sure to let us know."

"We're friends, right?" I asked.

He finally looked back at us. "Yeah. We are." He then left.

At that time, I should have been more empathic. Because I would eventually regret what happened.

I took a train over to Shinjuku, still in Tokyo, and the location of Gunhead's hero agency. With a printout of directions to the address given to me, I had confidence that the dojo I found was the right place.

I stepped through the front door, removing my shoes at the entrance. Nobody came to greet me. "Hello! I'm here from U.A. High. My name is Haruki Takami!" I called. My greeting echoed down the hall.

A sliding door opened, and the famous battle-type hero stepped out. "Ah! Took you long enough, Haruki! We've been waiting, see?"

I gasped out loud, quickly realizing it and covering my mouth. Gunhead stood right before my eyes. Such an amazing hero two feet away! When my head snapped back to reality, I maintained my cool and deeply bowed. "Thank you for having me here, Mr. Gunhead! It's a pleasure!"

He laughed. "No need for formalities. I'm glad you're here with us." A few heroes stepped out behind Gunhead, all smiling and waving. "These are some of my good friends and sidekicks."

The three young men shot me toothy smiles, all wearing loose-fitting clothes good for long days of working out and martial arts training. They all looked like recent high school graduates, just a few years older than myself.

"The name's Ninsei," called one with spiky black hair and a goatee.

"I'm Takeshi. Nice to meet you," introduced a tall man with a scruffy face and brown hair tied back into a ponytail.

"And Morizonuki over here. You can just call me Mori," said the last one, a young man with dark purple hair and a cheerful face.

So much for martial artists! They all look so nice!

"I'm glad to be working with you all," I replied with a bow.

"Seriously, like the boss said, you don't have to be so formal," laughed Takeshi. "For the next week you're one of us. Cool?"

I smiled. "Cool!"

Getting straight to the point, Gunhead put his hands together. "Now then, I suppose you don't want to waste any of your precious internship time, huh, Haruki? Let's get started without ado. Go put on your costume. We're going out on patrol, for at least a little bit every day. It's my first priority to teach you the basics of what a hero does."