19 - In Our Own Quirky Ways

I made it to the second barrier, and nearly fell because of it. As dubbed by Present Mic, we made it to "The Fall", a giant pitfall spanning several kilometers, laced with pillars connected by tightropes from one end to the other. If we fell, we were out, which meant we had to either crawl over the tightropes, or fly over.

"That's a long way down," Mina said with a gulp, nearly running off the cliff.

"When did they have time to build this?" I asked. Tsu stepped up beside us, silently crouching down. "Tsu?"

She suddenly leaped up into the air and landed on one of the tightropes, proceeding to walk across like it was a piece of cake. "She's fast," Mina noted.

I flapped my wings. "Then let's not get too far behi—"

We heard laughter from behind us. A girl stood just a few feet away, wearing all sorts of weird gear. "Here it is! Here's my chance to show off! It's time for my support items to be in the limelight! Look, all you support companies across the country! Wire arrows and..." She aggressively pointed at her feet. "Hover soles! Glitter!"

"You're from the support course, huh?" I asked.

"What? It's okay to bring in items?" Mina complained.

She grinned and wagged her finger. "The hero course undergoes combat training regularly, right? In order to keep things fair, we are allowed to equip items and costumes, as long as we developed them ourselves! Or perhaps I should say..." She launched a grappling hook from her belt. "...for those of us in the support course, this is the place where we can show off our ideas and skills to companies!"

She lifted into the air with her boots and took off, going straight over the cliff. The grappling hook locked into the side of a pillar, which the girl easily scaled. She repeated this process to make her way across the canyon, shouting out to the viewing audience as though she was advertising her gadgets.

I found that girl strange, but watching her advance past me made me really angry for some reason. "So annoying! I won't lose to that!" I flew straight over the pitfall without a problem. I passed the weird girl, then Tsu, and soon spotted the other side. Todoroki made it over by sliding on frozen tightropes, and Kacchan flew over the pitfall with Explosion.

Landing on the other side of The Fall, I stumbled to a halt. I felt nauseous because I had been flying for too long already, in addition to using Zero Gravity. Shaking it off, I ran up a short flight of stairs and took off after the two leaders. "No matter how I feel, I can't let that win me over! I have to give it my all, and place as high as possible!" I growled, as Tsu and a girl with vines for hair closed in on me.

Present Mic yelled, "And now, we've quickly arrived at the final barrier!"

That means first-place is already there! I have to hurry!

I heard an explosion go off in the distance. It didn't sound quite as loud and destructive as those belonging to my best friend. "Is that the final barrier?"

I rounded the bend, skidding to a halt. A few students ran past me, and instantly they were blown into the sky. If I went two steps forward, I would've met the same fate. A minefield sat right in front of me.

"I see. An obstacle that puts those in the lead at a disadvantage. Trying to make it entertaining, huh?"

I did hear an explosion I recognized.

Looking up ahead, my eyes spotted Todoroki at the front, and Kacchan in the air dangerously close to him. "Bastard, don't fucking declare war on the wrong person!" He mercilessly attacked Todoroki to throw him off balance, and just like that, Kacchan put himself in the lead.