3 - What It Takes to Be a Hero

This monster took over his body in an instant. He fought viciously to get out of the sludge, but it seemed impossible.

"I won't let sewage like this swallow me! I'll kill you!" Kacchan roared at the top of his lungs, pulling his head out of the sludge for an instant to catch his breath. "You little—" He tried using his explosions again, but they had no effect on the monster.

However, Kacchan's explosions did have an effect on the street, setting everything on fire. I had to roll out of the way of a falling telephone pole. It collapsed on top of a building and knocked broken glass everywhere, forcing me to dive out of the way again.

"What power!" cheered the monster, making a devilish smile at all the damage to the street. He covered Kacchan from head-to-toe in sludge. "With this Quirk and power, I can even get my revenge on that guy!"

"I have to do something," I growled to myself. Spotting a dumpster nearby, I ran over and touched it with one hand. The dumpster lifted off the ground weighing absolutely nothing. My stomach turned inside out, but I couldn't pay any attention to it at the moment, instead turning to the sludge monster. "Let Kacchan go!" The dumpster went flying like a dodgeball.

"So, you're fighting back, huh? Let's see how useful your boyfriend is against you!" The monster forced Kacchan to counterattack, moving his arms like gun turrets. He opened up his victim's hands and forced out several big explosions, easily reducing the dumpster and its contents to ashes. "That was easy! Now let's blow her up, too!"

My eyes widened.

Kacchan's eyes locked onto me. Even without speaking, I could read his lips, and right now, he told—no, he begged me to get the hell away.

I flapped my wings and launched into the air. An explosion detonated in my direction, missed, and blew a massive hole in the wall. I gawked, realizing the danger of Kacchan's impressive power now in the wrong hands.

In my shock, the villain used a sludge tentacle to send me into the pavement.

While struggling to get back up, the monster moved close and aimed Kacchan's hands at my face. "I think this is the part where you both say goodbye!" The monster grinned like a madman.

I screamed at my body to move but it wouldn't listen, leaving me to watch myself get turned to ash. I hoped at least shielding my face with my wings could possibly nullify the attack a bit...

The attack never came.

I peeked through my feathers to see what had happened. Kacchan was now fighting the monster even from within its grasp. With every ounce of his being, he resisted the monster's command and managed to turn his hands away from my face, shutting his palms to prevent any explosions from coming out.

Impressed with my friend's strength and willpower, I was suddenly overcome with an urge to fight back too, and help save him. "I'm coming, Kaccha—"

A wood tentacle suddenly wrapped around my waist. It pulled me into the arms of the one and only Kamui Woods, who whisked me away from the fire. "It's alright now, miss. You're safe!"

If the circumstances had been different, being in the arms of a popular hero like Kamui Woods would've made me lose my mind. However, in this situation, my concern for Kacchan easily overruled anything else. "Wait a minute! Let me go! I have to go back! He's got my friend!" I tried getting him to drop me, flailing my limbs and beating my wings around like an angry bird.

Kamui eventually set me down, behind a police blockade in sight of the fire. "We'll do everything we can to get him back safely, but you need to stay here." He raced away.