57 - Words of Wisdom

After being disciplined by the teachers, all class B boys promptly left the room. The class A men now had a half hour or so remaining before lights out. Most had the idea to leave and get a drink from the vending machines or walk around and tire themselves out.

But a few remained in the room, and one of them had some questions.

"Oi. Shoji."

The Dupli-arms Quirk wielder remained unfazed by the living time-bomb's approach.

"Bakugo. What is it?"

"I want to know what you think of Haruki."

If Shoji was surprised, he didn't show it. He remained his usual calm self and created a mouth on his left dupli-arm. "This must be because of earlier, huh? I didn't take you to be the jealous type." Kacchan's eyebrow twitched in anger, but before he could fire off any threats or insults, Shoji continued. "Well, I don't look at her like that, if that's what you're asking. Not at all."

"What's that supposed to mean? You looking down on her or something?"

"Don't twist my words. Takami is someone I respect as a friend and a rival, a fellow hero-in-training. She's a wonderful person who excels at academics and athletics, and, to be perfectly honest, she's pretty, but I don't consider her when it comes to romance."

It was hard to tell if Kacchan was relieved or frustrated by that notion. "Why not?"

"As students in the hero course, we have very little free time as it is, so I'm not looking for a relationship anytime soon." His dupli-arm mouth started grinning. "Besides, something tells me that someone has his eye on her."

Kacchan's face went red. "Now you're sounding like that damn Broomhead."

"I'm not surprised. It's ridiculously obvious when you think about—"

"Shut up! I don't like Haru!" His scarlet eyes went wide.

Shoji formed two more mouths on his dupli-arms so he could grin twice as much. "I never said you did."

Unable to take back his outburst, Kacchan's eyes drifted to the floor to prevent Shoji from getting a clear look at his face.

"So? Do you?" asked Shoji, bracing for the inevitable shouting in his future.

Kacchan swallowed hard. "How could I not?"

After his hard denial, Shoji was surprised that Kacchan admitted it so easily.

"The way she fights with her wings and her stupidly complicated Quirk is totally impressive. There are so many factors that could knock her out of commission, but that never stops her. She's selfless to a fault and will help anyone who needs it. Not to mention she's stupidly smart. And she can cook and eat spicy foods! If you don't think that's attractive, you're a fucking moron.

"But the best part about Haru... The best part is that she's such a warm person." He pressed a hand to his chest to stop the warm, fuzzy sensation from spreading to the rest of his body. "Being around her makes me feel better about everything. It's like she just wards away all the darkness. God, I'm fucking pathetic for spilling all this to you!"

Shoji waved his hand. "It's alright. Clearly, you needed it."

"Haru is the greatest person. I could call her a literal fucking angel and it'd be the biggest understatement of the century. She's so much more amazing than one, and don't even get me started on how fucking gorgeous she is. Who am I fucking kidding?! I totally lo—" He stopped after realizing his voice had escalated and that there was one other person in the room.