77 - A Notice in the Mail

We spent the evening slaving over dinner. Well, Kacchan did all the slaving. I was forbidden from working. Kacchan sat me on the counter to keep an eye on me while he cooked. He felt bad.

"Kacchan, I'm fine. My hips aren't that sore anymore, so quit worrying."

"I'm not worrying, dammit! I just don't want you to stumble and get hurt. You're clumsy enough without wobbly legs."

"I'm not clumsy!"

"You are—Agh!!" He accidentally set a frying pan on fire and scrambled to put it out. The stir-fried veggies ended up burnt to a crisp, so he tossed them into the trash and started on a second batch. His knuckles turned white as he gripped the pan with one hand and the counter with the other.

"Kacchan?"

"I'm not worried..." After refiring the veggies, he came over and hugged me. "Just feel a little guilty about your hips."

I hugged him back. "It's alright. You'll get the hang of it."

He tried to hide his blush.

"Now," I moved him aside and hopped down, "lemme be your guinea pig."

"Oi! I told you to sit on the counter!"

"Feed me!"

"Get back to your spot, you little shit!" He grabbed me and tickled my sides until I could hardly stand up anymore.

The rest of the hour continued with us bickering. It extended through finishing the meal, eating it, stowing away the leftovers, and washing the dishes. Then, we cuddled on the couch and watched TV long enough for me to doze off. Kacchan had to keep shaking me awake so I'd be up..

Finally, at around ten o'clock, my parents got home.

I confessed to them the latest development in my personal life, and Kacchan was there the entire time. Right at my side, ready to grab my hand and give it a squeeze. That was reassuring. His presence warded off any nervous feelings inside me. Because I was nervous. I was extremely nervous about how Mom and Dad would react.

Naturally, I just got myself too worked up.

"Heehee... Haruki, you crack us up!"

Mom's giggles and Dad's hearty chuckles knocked the wind out of me. "Eh?"

"Did you think we'd be surprised?" asked Dad. "Mitsuki and Masaru weren't the only ones itching for it to happen all this time. Though I never considered placing a bet on it."

"You couldn't fool us, Haruki." Mom tried, and failed, to stop her giggles with a hand over her mouth. "You've had a crush on Katsuki for as long as we remember. It's always been 'Kacchan this' and 'Kacchan that' since you two first met. Not to mention how many times you've said he looks like a handsome prince."

"That was when I was six!!"

Kacchan elbowed my side. "Tell me more about these princely fantasies. I want to hear."

"Like hell I'll tell you."

He moved close enough to poke my nose. "Does that make you my princess?"

I threw both arms and wings in front of my face. "Don't look at me."

"Oh, look at them. They're so cute!"

We stared back at my parents as they fawned over us.

"Now, we know why Mitsuki sounded all happy on the phone."

"She just couldn't stop herself from giggling, could she?"

"Damn old hag," Kacchan said with tinted cheeks.