61 - The Pain of Loss

For two days, I fell in and out of consciousness, wracked with pain and a high fever. I couldn't remember anything but the words of that awful man.

"More importantly, you two should be careful of who you talk to so rudely. The next time we meet will likely be when I have decided to kill you... So make sure to protect your friends, okay?"

I lost the most important person to me because of him. Despite all my efforts, and everything I said—everything I promised—it was nothing but lip service. I couldn't save him. The one thing I promised him, and I couldn't do it.

The summer training camp that we looked forward to had ended in the worst way imaginable.

A disturbingly silent atmosphere welcomed me from my slumber. With little to no strength in my body, I cracked open my eyelids. An empty white box surrounded me, with a single door to the left and floor-to-ceiling windows lining the wall on my right.

Bandages covered my arms, legs, and everything from my waist to just underneath my breasts. Several wires stretched out from under my shirt and connected me to multiple machines, the most recognizable being the heart monitor. A thin tube hooked up my arm to an IV drip. Both wings rolled off the side of the bed.

"A...hospit—?!"

I suddenly coughed, making my body surge forward. It screamed in agony.

My gaze flickered to the windows allowing me a view of the outside world. The sun and cloudless sky created plenty of light to brighten the hideous space. With the treetops barely reaching the windows, I guessed the room to be located somewhere on the hospital's upper floors.

So startled that I flinched, I spotted my reflection in the window. The girl stared back at me with green eyes. However, they lacked the usual sparkle; instead, they resembled cold, dull stones.

If I had to describe her with one word:

Heartbroken.

"Right," I muttered.

Baring my teeth, both hands gripped the sheets underneath me.

"Kacchan's gone."

My body trembled, and tears threatened to spill out.

But I wouldn't let them. Shaking my head, I swung my legs over the side. "No... He's not gone. He can't be." I struggled to my feet and ripped every wire from my body. The heart monitor flatlined, but I paid it no attention. "If I'm here...in this hospital...then I'm sure..."

I marched to the door.

"They couldn't have gotten far. There's no way they could've escaped. Mr. Aizawa... Vlad King... All those cops..."

Images of red and blue sirens flashed before my eyes.

"Kacchan... They should've got him back. They wouldn't just...let him go!"

A voice in my head hissed: "He's gone."

Jaw clenched, I snarled at it. "Shut up."

"He's gone. The villains took him."

I viciously shook my head. "That can't be true. Kacchan is here, in the hospital."

"The villains got him. You saw it!"

The memory of Kacchan being taken only infuriated me further. "That's a lie! A trick! He couldn't... He couldn't have..."

"He's gone for good. And it's all your fault, hero!"