72 - Haruki and Katsuki: Starting Line

Sometime in the night, I dreamt of a bumblebee in a matchbox bouncing around like a pinball. The constant buzzing annoyed me. When I went to investigate, I realized it was my phone vibrating and woke up.

I flipped over to check the time on my clock.

"Ugh. Midnight?" I groaned, sitting myself up.

My hand snatched the phone off the nightstand and flipped it open to see who would possibly call at such an inconvenient time.

When I read the caller ID, every part of me went cold. It made me hesitant to answer, but considering I missed twenty-four messages, in all caps, I was left with two options: admit defeat and answer the call, or fall back asleep and dream about noisy-ass bees.

Lifting the device to my ear, my thumb tapped the green button.

"H-Hello?"

"Fucking finally, Angel Face! Took you long enough, dammit!"

The voice screamed into my ear, making me tumble backward onto the bed.

Recovering from whiplash, I shot up onto my feet, soothed the beating of my heart, and spoke into the phone as calmly as possible. "K-K-Kacchan?!" I stuttered. "Wh-What the hell are you doing calling me at this—?!"

"Quit babbling and look outside!"

"Outside?" I turned. "You mean my window?"

"Yes, your window! Now hurry up!"

"Hang on! Let me throw something on first."

His voice cracked. "You mean, you're not wearing anything?"

"I-I'm wearing something... Th-That's not what I... Shut up!" I hung up. After throwing on a shirt, I rushed over to the window and pulled open the curtains. My eyes popped out of their sockets: Kacchan stood out on his bedroom veranda, six or seven feet from my window.

Blinking hard, I tried to determine if this was real or not. Was I sleepwalking? Maybe just having an extremely vivid dream?

No. The blinking cleared it up. Unlike the bee, Kacchan was really there.

I flicked the lock and threw it wide open.

"Kacchan?! It's after midnight! What are you doing out—?!"

"SHHH! Fucking be quiet...!" He nervously glanced back into his room. "My parents are asleep. If they catch me out here, they'll kill me."

"What are you even doing out here?!"

"I'm coming over." He climbed up onto the railing and swung his arms back and forth.

"What are you..."

"Better step back, Haru." He took a deep breath.

"Wha—?!"

He pushed off the railing, used a single explosion to help himself cross the gap between our houses, barreled through my window, and crashed into the wooden floorboards. I flinched at the sight.

The instant he was inside, I closed the window and ran over. "Are you crazy?! The cops advised you not to leave your house. If your parents realize that you're gone, they're gonna flip and kill us both and..."

"You said it yourself. It's past midnight, and I'm already over here, aren't I?" He sat up and stared at me.

I trembled. "Why... Why are you over here in the first place?"

"Before I answer," his cheeks were tinted red, "put some shorts on or something."

I dropped to the ground like a pile of bricks, tugged my shirt down to my knees, and curled my wings around them. "Hey, control your eyes! I was sleeping, and it was hot. You're the one that came over so suddenly."