2 - Heroes and Villains

After roll call, class officially got started with Mr. Kohei passing out the curriculum guide to all students. "Since you're all third-years now, it's time for you to think seriously about your futures. I'd pass out career aptitude tests for your future plans now, but why bother?" He grabbed a stack of paper. He tossed it into the air, letting the papers fly all over. "You're all pretty much planning to go into the hero course, right?"

"YES!!!" Everyone erupted in cheers, showing off the grand variation of Quirks in our class. I admired them all from my seat at the back of the class. My wings made it difficult to sit anywhere else.

"Yes, yes, you all have wonderful Quirks. But using your powers at school is against the rules! Get a hold of yourselves!"

Someone shouted: "Hey, teach!"

Everyone went quiet. Sitting near the back of the class, my spiky-haired friend had his feet propped up on the desk. "Don't lump us all together in the same group. I'm not gonna be stuck at the bottom with the rest of these rejects! I'm the real deal. Most of these guys will be lucky to end up as sidekicks to some busted D-lister!" He poked his head up from his nap, grinning.

Nobody liked that. "That was uncalled for, Katsuki!" shouted a student.

"You think you're better than us?!" cried others.

My friend laughed and yelled back, "You all should just shut up like the extras you are!"

Mr. Kohei said, "If I remember correctly, you want to go to U.A. High, right, Bakugo?"

The other students all gasped, "U.A.? The national school?!"

"It was in the top 0.2% this year, you know!" said one.

"Their acceptance rate is always really low, too!" added another.

By the way, that's Kacchan. Remember the kid that didn't show up to walk with me to school, the one who gave me a present this morning? Yeah, that's him: my next door neighbor and best friend, Katsuki Bakugo. A real jackass.

He laughed. "That's exactly why you guys are just extras!" He sprung out of his chair and stood up on the desk. "I aced the mock test. I'm the only one at this school who could possibly get into U.A. I'll definitely surpass All Might and become the top hero! My name will be inscribed on the list of top earners, and I—!"

Mr. Kohei interrupted him. "Oh yeah, Midoriya, you wanted to go to U.A., too, right?"

Two seats to my left, also back of the class, sat Izuku Midoriya, a kid with unruly green hair and freckles. Everyone glared at Izuku. He sheepishly covered his head to avoid everyone's fierce gaze.

A few scary silent moments went by, and then everyone burst out laughing, aside from myself.

"Huh? Midoriya? No way!"

"You can't get into the hero course just by studying."

Izuku shot up from his seat. "Th-They got rid of that rule. There's just no precedent—"

Suddenly Kacchan leapt from his seat and attacked Izuku, making him jump out of his seat to dodge. Kacchan nearly broke the desk in half. "Hey, Deku! You're way below these damn rejects! You're Quirkless! How can you even stand in the same ring as me?!"

I rolled my eyes.

Izuku frantically tried to save his hide from being blown to bits. "No, wait a minute, Kacchan! It's not like I'm trying to compete with you or anything! Believe me! It's just that it's been my goal ever since I was little. And well... I won't know unless I try..."

Kacchan's hands started smoking. "What do you mean, unless you try?! Are you taking the test for fun?! This school's already crappy! Do you really want to embarrass it more by failing so hard? What the hell can you do anyway?! You're Quirkless! And that's all you'll ever be!" He tried attacking Izuku again.