The One With The Aftermath

They hadn't realized what a racket they had been making, but of course, someone downstairs must have heard the crashes and the troll's roars. A moment later, Professor McGonagall had come bursting into the room, closely followed by Snape, with Quirrell bringing up the rear. Quirrell took one look at the troll, let out a faint whimper, and sat quickly down on a toilet, clutching his heart. Snape bent over the troll. Professor McGonagall was looking at Ron and Harry. Astraea had never seen her look so angry, not even when she jinxes a student or the twins play one of their pranks.  Her lips were white. 

"What on earth were you thinking of?" said Minnie, with cold fury in her voice. 

Harry looked at Ron, who was still standing with his wand in the air. 

"You're lucky you weren't killed. Why aren't you in your dormitory?" Snape gave Harry a swift, piercing look. Harry looked at the floor. 

Then a small voice came out of the shadows. 

"Please, Professor McGonagall — they were looking for me."

"Miss Granger!"

Astraea had managed to get Hermione to her feet at last.

"I went looking for the troll because I — I thought I could deal with it on my own — you know, because I've read all about them." Ron dropped his wand. Hermione Granger, telling a downright lie to a teacher? "If they hadn't found me, I'd be dead now. Harry stuck his wand up its nose and Ron knocked it out with its own club. And when it got back up Astraea stunned it. They didn't have time to come and fetch anyone. It was about to finish me off when they arrived."

Harry and Ron tried to look as though this story wasn't new to them. Astraea smiled to herself.

"Well — in that case ..." said Minnie, staring at the four of them, "Miss Granger, you foolish girl, how could you think of tackling a mountain troll on your own?"

Hermione hung her head. Hermione was the last person to do anything against the rules, and here she was, pretending she had, to get them out of trouble. It was as if Snape had started handing out sweets.

"Miss Granger, five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this," said Minnie. "I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better get off to Gryffindor tower. Students are finishing the feast in their houses."

Hermione left. Minnie turned to Harry and Ron. "Well, I still say you were lucky, but not many first years could have taken on a full-grown mountain troll. You each win Gryffindor five points. Professor Dumbledore will be informed of this." She then looked at Astraea. "You performed very well under pressure and you were able to protect foolish first years- even though you were foolish yourself. You win five points, Ms. Black. You may all go".  

They hurried out of the chamber and didn't speak at all until they had climbed two floors up. It was a relief to be away from the smell of the troll, quite apart from anything else.

"We should have gotten more than fifteen points," Ron grumbled.

"Ten, you mean, once she's taken off Hermione's." Harry corrected

"Good of her to get us out of trouble like that," Ron admitted. "Mind you, we did save her."

"She might not have needed saving if we hadn't locked the thing in with her," Harry reminded him.

"Well how about you stop being little gits to her?" said Astraea.

They had reached the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Listen Astraea,-" started Harry

"Pig snout," Astraea interrupted and entered. Harry sighed.

The common room was packed and noisy. Everyone was eating the food that had been sent up. Hermione, however, stood alone by the door, waiting for them. Astraea smiled at her and went over to her friends.

"Where have you been?" George hugged her.

"Someone was panicking like mom because you disappeared", Fred teased.

Astraea laughed. "Well you know I was fighting a troll"

"Without us?" yelled Fred.

"Are you okay?" asked Angelina

"Oh yeah I won", she replied smugly.

Everyone cheered and she laughed.

Everyone went to their dorms except Astraea, Angelina and the twins.

"I'm tired", yawned Angelina. "I'm off to bed. Coming Astraea?"

"In a bit", she replied. Angelina nodded and stood up.

"I'm off to bed too", Fred said and stood up. "Let me walk you m'lady"

They laughed at his silly behavior.

When they were alone, George and Astraea moved next to the fire.

"Incendio", muttered George and Astraea looked at him. "You seemed cold and the fire was dying".

Astraea smiled as he blushed.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" he asked.

She sighed. "Ten years ago, my father left us to commit the murder of twelve muggles and was sent to Azkaban. It was never a problem, but Harry coming here made me remember everything I don't know why".

She had tears in her eyes so George scooted closer. He removed her hair from her face.

"Look your father left, his loss. He lost his chance knowing an amazing, beautiful, smart girl. I know I wouldn't trade you for all the dung bombs in the world", he told her. She laughed lightly with a hint of blush.

It was then she realized how close their faces are and how much she was dying to kiss him. She was worried he wouldn't want that too.

'I wish I could kiss her', she heard him say, but his lips didn't move. She was hearing his thoughts. She inched closer and their lips were about to meet when someone cleared their throats. They pulled back blushing really hard to see Ron standing their awkwardly.

"I was searching.. umm.. for Scrabbers", he muttered awkwardly.

"I'm tired", said Astraea. "Good night"

She went to her dorm, but not before hearing George snapping at Ron: "You are a git did you know that?"

***************************************************************************************

Editing!!!

999 words