The One With The Truth: Part 1

"Tom — Tom Riddle?"

Riddle nodded, not taking his eyes off Harry's face.

"What d'you mean, she won't wake?" Harry said desperately. "She's not — she's not — ?"

"She's still alive," said Riddle. "But only just."

Harry stared at him. Then at Astraea who looked at the floor.

"Are you a ghost?" Harry said uncertainly.

"A memory," said Riddle quietly. "Preserved in a diary for fifty years."

He pointed toward the floor near the statue's giant toes. 

"You've got to help me, Tom," Harry said, raising Ginny's head again. "We've got to get her out of here. There's a basilisk . . . I don't know where it is, but it could be along any moment. . . . Please, help me — Astraea-"

"Harry don't", Astraea said frightened and guilt eating her alive.

Tom was just watching Harry. Harry was searching for something.

"Did you see — ?"He looked up. Riddle was still watching him — twirling Harry's wand between his long fingers.

"Thanks," said Harry, stretching out his hand for it.

A smile curled the corners of Riddle's mouth. He continued to stare at Harry, twirling the wand idly.

"Listen," said Harry urgently, his knees sagging with Ginny's dead weight. "We've got to go! If the basilisk comes —"

"It won't come until it is called," said Riddle calmly.

Harry lowered Ginny back onto the floor, unable to hold her up any longer.

"What d'you mean?" he said. "Look, give me my wand, I might need it —"

Riddle's smile broadened.

"You won't be needing it," he said.

Harry stared at him. "What d'you mean, I won't be — ?"

"I've waited a long time for this, Harry Potter," said Riddle. "For the chance to see you. To speak to you."

"Look," said Harry, losing patience, "I don't think you get it. We're in the Chamber of Secrets. We can talk later —"

"We're going to talk now," said Riddle, still smiling broadly, and he pocketed Harry's wand.

Astraea was this close to fainting.

"How did Ginny get like this?" he asked slowly.

"Well, that's an interesting question, and quite a long story. Isn't it Astraea?" said Riddle pleasantly. "I suppose the real reason Ginny Weasley's like this is because Astraea here opened her heart and spilled all her secrets to an invisible stranger."

"What are you talking about?" said Harry. "Astraea what-" Astraea just looked at the floor.

"The diary," said Riddle. "My diary. Astraea's been writing in it for months and months, telling me all her pitiful worries and woes — how her father is in Azkaban, how her mother doesn't care enough about her, how she gets bullied, how" — Riddle's eyes glinted — "how she didn't think she will be good enough for George Weasley. . . .

"It's very boring, having to listen to the silly little troubles of a teenager," he went on. "But I was patient. I wrote back. I was sympathetic, I was kind. Astraea simply loved me. I took her on her first date, I kissed her, been there for her. No one's ever understood me like you, Tom. . . . I trust you, Tom. . . . You make me safe, Tom. . . ."Riddle laughed, a high, cold laugh that didn't suit him. Astraea sobbed, this the worst she had ever felt.

"If I say it myself, Harry, I've always been able to charm the people I needed. So Astraea poured out her soul to me, and her soul happened to be exactly what I wanted. . . . I grew stronger and stronger on a diet of her deepest fears, her darkest secrets. I grew powerful, far more powerful than little Miss Black. Then, I told her I can be forever with her, no more diary, no more secret dates, that's all she wanted, right baby?"

Astraea wanted to vomit.

"You see baby, it is dangerous, you might kill me forever. Little Miss Astraea, trusted me at that point that she gave herself for me, to posses. Then Ginny found out the truth, she was about to tell you when she saw me, so I chose her as my victim"

"What d'you mean?" said Harry.

"Haven't you guessed yet, Harry Potter?" said Riddle softly. "Astraea Black opened the Chamber of Secrets. She strangled and slaughtered the school roosters and daubed threatening messages on the walls. She set the serpent of Slytherin on four Mud-bloods, and the Squib's cat."

"No," Harry whispered.

"Yes," said Riddle calmly. "Of course, she didn't know what she was doing at first. It was very amusing, right baby? I wish you could have heard our conversation . . . far more interesting, they became. . . . Tom," he recited, watching Harry's horrified face, "Every time I sleep I dream of the attacks and when I wake, I see they are true.... Tom, I don't want to sleep anymore.... Tom, I think I'm connected to the Heir of Slytherin..."

Harry looked at Astraea and she felt cold. The blood on her wrist is flowing out.

***************************************************************************************

Editinggg!!!

815 wordsss