The One With The Mirror Of Erised

The next day, Astraea was in the Great Hall eating breakfast when she overheard Harry and Ron talking.

"You could have woken me up," said Ron, crossly.

"You can come tonight, I'm going back, I want to show you the mirror", replied Harry.

"I'd like to see your mom and dad," Ron said eagerly.

"And I want to see all your family, all the Weasleys, you'll be able to show me your other brothers and everyone."

"You can see them any old time," said Ron. "Just come round my house this summer. Anyway, maybe it only shows dead people. Shame about not finding Flamel, though. Have some bacon or something, why aren't you eating anything?"

"Alright kids", said Astraea suddenly, startling them. "I heard pretty interesting topics being discussed between you too that you should not be even discussing".

"What do you mean?" Ron said nervously.

"Meeting dead parents- sorry Harry- and Nicholas Flamel", she replied smiling.

"Look we can-", Harry started but got interrupted by Astraea.

"Look I won't tell anyone IF you explain the meeting dead parents part- again sorry Harry".

"Yesterday, I snuck out after hours to an abandoned classroom and saw this mirror that showed me my parents", he explained.

"Interesting! where?" she asked and Harry gave her the exact location.

"Okay guys, I promise to keep my mouth shut about this", she smiled.

"You don't want to know about Flamel?" Ron asked and Harry looked at him in disbelief.

"No, however, if you need help you can always consult me", she replied. "Later".

Later that night, Astraea waited until she heard Harry and Ron come back to come down to the common room. She saw Harry sitting with a frown on his face and his arms folded on his chest.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Harry wants to go back to the mirror", Ron replied to which Harry rolled his eyes.

"Okay what's with that mirror?" she asked.

"Harry saw his parents through that mirror while I saw myself older, head-boy, holding the Quidditch cup and the house cup", Ron explained.

"Ron thought it showed the future, but it can't hence my parents", Harry replied grumpily.

"I think I know what this is", Astraea said. "read about it somewhere"

"What is it?" they asked in union.

"I think it is the Mirror of Erised", said Astraea. "of course I am not sure and I'll have to check for myself."

"What is that?" asked Harry.

"It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. I mean you saw you parents, Ron head-boy, it makes sense"

Astraea then stood up to leave.

"Where are you going?" asked Harry.

"To see for myself"

Astraea took out the Marauders map to be able to sneak to her destination

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good", she muttered and the map revealed Hogwarts.

She was able to dodge Flich, Mrs. Norris and Professor Sprout on her way. When she finally arrived, she muttered the words to close the map and hid it in her pocket. She saw the mirror in the against the wall of the room; It was a magnificent mirror, as high as the ceiling, with an ornate gold frame, standing on two clawed feet. There was an inscription carved around the top: Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

ِAstraea touched the words on the mirror from the end to the beginning and muttered 'I show not your face but your hearts desire'. 

"Mirror of the Erised alright", she muttered.

Then, she dared to look at her reflection for the first time, and what she saw brought tears to her eyes, but a smile to her face. She saw herself wearing a wedding dress while her parents and Remmy stood behind her. Her father was hugging her mother and Remmy was laughing, then the voice came again 'Who would want to marry you?'

She looked away and sobbed

"So — you too, Astraea?"

Astraea felt as though his insides had turned to ice, and looked behind her startled. Sitting on one of the desks by the wall was none other than Albus Dumbledore. Astraea must have walked straight past him, so desperate to get to the mirror she hadn't noticed him. But, how? His name was not on the map, or was it?

"I — I didn't see you, sir."

"Strange how nearsighted someone can be to overlook a name" said Dumbledore, and Astraea was relieved to see that he was smiling.

"So," said Dumbledore, slipping off the desk to stand next to Astraea, "you, like hundreds before you, have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised."

Astraea nodded.

"Harry told you where to find it?"

Astraea nodded again.

"I expect you've realized by now what it does?"

"I know what it does, I've read about it", Astraea whispered. "I just don't understand why it's dangerous so much"

"It showed Harry's parents and it showed your friend Ron himself as head boy."

"How did you know —?"

"I don't need a cloak to become invisible or a map for that matter," said Dumbledore gently. "Now, can you think what the Mirror of Erised shows us all?"

"I know what it shows, I read about it and it is written on it", Astraea replied. "I show not your face but your hearts desire".

"It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. You, who have a broken family, see them standing around you, happy. Ronald Weasley, who has always been overshadowed by his brothers, sees himself standing alone, the best of all of them. However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible", he explained.

"But what if you know that what you see may never happen to us?", she whispered with a tear.

"Your father?" asked Dumbeldore.

"My father, me getting married, you with..... is that Grindelwald?" she asked surprised.

"How did you...", Dumbeldore started. "Forget it we'll discuss it in the morning. The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Astraea, and I ask you not to go looking for it again. Please advice Ron and Harry. If you ever do run across it, you will now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Now, why don't you pull out that impressive map of yours and get off to bed? Take Mr. Weasley with you"

George then came from behind the door.

"How did you...?" they both asked but he gave them a pointed look and left.

"That man", Astraea muttered pulling out her map.

"What were you doing here?" she asked George.

"Making sure you are okay", he shrugged.

They both left the room but before George took a glance at the mirror and his heart fluttered at what he saw.

***************************************************************************************

Editing!!

1,165 words