The One With the Myth

"Excuse me?" she asked Snape.

"What were you doing there?" he asked her. "Where you at the death-party?"

"Do I look like I was there?" she sassed raising an eyebrow

"Miss Black", Minnie warned and she rolled her eyes.

"I was in my dorm, all night", she said.

"Without any supper?" he asked her.

"Don't act like you are just getting to know me", she shot. "You know how I feel about Halloween"

Awkward silence filled the room and Snape looked taken back but said nothing.

"My cat has been Petrified!" Filch shrieked, his eyes popping. "I want to see some punishment!"

"We will be able to cure her, Argus," said Dumbledore patiently. "Professor Sprout recently managed to procure some Mandrakes. As soon as they have reached their full size, I will have a potion made that will revive Mrs. Norris."

"I'll make it," Lockhart butted in. "I must have done it a hundred times. I could whip up a Mandrake Restorative Draught in my sleep —"

"Excuse me," said Snape icily. "But I believe I am the Potions master at this school."

There was a very awkward pause.

"You may go," Dumbledore said to the students.

They stood up to leave.

"Not you Miss Black", he stopped Astraea. She groaned.

"I swear I did nothing", she pleaded.

"Walk with me", he told her.

Dumbeldore and Astraea walked towards his office alone when he spoke, "I have a hunch you are hiding something"

Astraea thought for a while then fed him part of the truth, the part that wasn't all that frightening.

"I dreamt about this", she said. "That's why I was scared. I saw it in my dreams, like I was doing this"

"Explain" he said stopping.

"I had a dream earlier that I was killing roosters and using their blood to write that on the wall then petrifying Mrs. Norris and hanging her. When I woke up, I saw no one was back so I went to see what's going on when I saw it", she explained feeling terrified.

"But Professor I swear-", 

"Don't finish Miss Black, I know more than anyone that you wouldn't hurt a fly", Dumbeldore interrupted.

"So what?"

"Let me think"

                                                                      ******************************

For a few days, the school could talk of little else but the attack on Mrs. Norris. Filch kept it fresh in everyone's minds by pacing the spot where she had been attacked, as though he thought the attacker might come back. He had seen him scrubbing the message on the wall with Mrs. Skower's All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover, but to no effect; the words still gleamed as brightly as ever on the stone. When Filch wasn't guarding the scene of the crime, he was skulking red-eyed through the corridors, lunging out at unsuspecting students and trying to put them in detention for things like "breathing loudly" and "looking happy."

Ginny Weasley seemed very disturbed by Mrs. Norris's fate. According to Ron, she was a great cat lover. "But you haven't really got to know Mrs. Norris," Ron told her bracingly. "Honestly, we're much better off without her." Ginny's lip trembled. "Stuff like this doesn't often happen at Hogwarts," Ron assured her. "They'll catch the maniac who did it and have him out of here in no time. I just hope he's got time to Petrify Filch before he's expelled. I'm only joking —" Ron added hastily as Ginny blanched.