The One With The Midnight Duel: Part 2

"I think we've lost him," Harry panted, leaning against the cold wall and wiping his forehead.

Neville was bent double, wheezing and spluttering.

"I — told — you," Hermione gasped, clutching at the stitch in her chest, "I — told — you."

"Well good for you", Fred said sarcastically.

"I need to work out more", panted Astraea clutching her sides.

"We've got to get back to Gryffindor tower," said Ron, "quickly as possible."

"Malfoy tricked you," Hermione said to Harry. "You realize that, don't you? He was never going to meet you — Filch knew someone was going to be in the trophy room, Malfoy must have tipped him off."

Harry thought she was probably right, but he wasn't going to tell her that. "Let's go."

It wasn't going to be that simple. They hadn't gone more than a dozen paces when a doorknob rattled and something came shooting out of a classroom in front of them. It was Peeves. He caught sight of them and gave a squeal of delight.

"Shut up, Peeves — please — you'll get us thrown out."

Peeves cackled. "Wandering around at midnight, Ickle Firsties? Tut, tut, tut. Naughty, naughty, you'll get caughty."

"Not if you don't give us away, Peeves, please."

"Peeves please", pleaded Astraea.

"Ohhh my favorite three Hogwarts students", he squealed at Astraea and the twins.

"Could you please be quite?" she pleaded him. "If we get thrown out, the fun would stop"

"Definitely", said Fred.

"Who would keep the pranking going?", said George.

"Mmmm.... On one hand you guys are the delight of Hogwarts. But then Ickle Firstites!!! Should tell Filch, I should," said Peeves in a saintly voice, but his eyes glittered wickedly. "It's for your own good, you know."

"Get out of the way," snapped Ron, taking a swipe at Peeves this was a big mistake.

"STUDENTS OUT OF BED!" Peeves bellowed, "STUDENTS OUT OF BED DOWN THE CHARMS CORRIDOR!"

Ducking under Peeves, they ran for their lives, right to the end of the corridor where they slammed into a door — and it was locked.

"This is it!" Ron moaned, as they pushed helplessly at the door, "We're done for! This is the end!"

They could hear footsteps, Filch running as fast as he could toward Peeves's shouts.

"Oh, move over," Astraea snarled. She grabbed Harry's wand, tapped the lock, and whispered, "Alohomora!" 

The lock clicked and the door swung open — they piled through it, shut it quickly, and pressed their ears against it, listening.

"If we get out of here you are dead", Fred told Ron.

"Shhh", Harry shushed him.