Chapter 11: Proving One's Self

(Harmony's) POV:

After taking care of our last assignment, we head back to report to Captain Shang. During our stay here for the last three days, we've been learning everyone's names. Of course, that doesn't mean we've become friends with everyone, especially since all of the soldiers still aren't satisfied with having a girl like me around.

"You did well," Captain Shang says.

"Glad to hear it!" I exclaim, relieved that we were able to prove ourselves.

"Captain..." Mulan says.

"I suppose you've made a little progress..." says the Captain.

"Not a little--a lot!" Donald corrects.

"No. You're right, Captain. Please give me one more assignment," says Mulan. "This time I'll show you what I'm truly made of!"

The Captain sighs. "I'll give you one more chance. See me when you're ready to depart. Remember, this may be a test, but it's still an important mission. Be alert!"

"Sir!" we all exclaim.

Once we make sure to have everything ready, we head up to the mountain path. Our assignment is to secure a route for the army, since we're heading towards a small village near the mountain summit. On our way, I hear the sound of a bird, making me glance up at the sky to see a hawk flying overhead. I'm not sure why, but I've somehow got a bad feeling about it.

I don't think about it too much when Heartless show up. And as if things weren't bad enough, there's a wall made of rocks blocking the path. Seeing that there was no other way, I changed into my Valor Form to destroy the walls while my friends would take care of the Heartless. By the time we finally reach the summit, I change into my regular clothes.

"How are you holding up, Harmony?" Asch asks.

"Great, actually. I feel like I've been improving a lot since I first started out," I say.

Despite my words, it feels more than that. It feels similar to when I used my powers as the 8th princess of heart against Ansem. I don't know how I was able to activate that power, or am able to tell if there's a connection or not, but I feel like the more times I use my Valor form, I'm slowly starting to figure out on how to use that power.

"Harmony just keeps getting stronger!" Mieu exclaims with a smile, earning a bark of agreement from Chibi.

"Well, they do say that practice makes perfect," Harada points out, stroking Chibi's head.

"I wish I could say the same about myself," Mulan says, looking sad.

I can understand that these past three days haven't been easy on her, but Mulan has definitely been improving in her fighting skills. I just wish she would have some more confidence in herself. After a moment or two, we notice Yao, Ling, and Chien Po walking towards us, the same guys that Luke, Donald and Heisuke ended picking fights with when we first met them.

"Hey, you ain't half bad," Yao says.

"A man among men!" Ling exclaims.

"Thanks!" Mulan exclaims, looking happy. Once Yao, Ling and Chien Po leave, Mulan frowns again. "But the Captain..."

"Captain!" I exclaim, noticing the Captain heading in our direction.

"Ping sure did great!" Goofy exclaims.

"You bet he did!" Donald exclaims, agreeing with Goofy.

"Hmm...Fine. I'll let you join my troops...But I'm still not convinced you have what it takes to be a worthy soldier," Captain Shang says.