C h a p t e r 42

Okay so basically no one actually commented whether they wanted a sad or averagely happy ending so... Yeah, awkward.
(((( btw I'm giving you the slightly more distressing choice ))))
((((((( idk, I just like little twisted endings )))))))
I have school in a few days too so.
And I've been upset for the last 2 hours and I need to get my mind off of everything.
Here you go.

---

As soon as we got back home with Luke, we placed him onto the sofa and let him rest. It was odd, really. A few hours before, I barely knew him and it just... All came back so fast.

I could feel his stare as I sat myself down next to Michael on the couch. But I ignored it and instead asked Michael a question, "have you seen Calum recently?"

He shook his head in response, "no, well, I guess I've seen him around town and said 'hi', but everytime I invite him over, something comes up."

I nodded in understanding as his eyes trailed over to the dust covered boy lying helplessly on the couch in the corner of the room.

"I have something for him." I said to Michael, glancing over to Luke, who as I had guessed earlier, was staring right at me.

Michel nodded his head, "what are you going give him?" He asked delicately.

"Something I should never have taken." I whispered back, staring at my hands. It was silent for a moment. The three us just let the nothingness wash over us, the only sound being the ticking from the clock above the television.

I hesitated before saying, "Maybe we should take him to the hospital. He was complaining he couldn't feel his legs all throughout the trip home." I whispered to Michael, making him nod.

"Okay," he said, grabbing his car keys, "let's go."

---

Waiting in the hallway of a hospital with beeps and footsteps and coughing clouding your senses is the worst feeling in the world. Watching people go by with tears in their eyes and others smiling was just playing with my emotions.

Of course Luke was going to be fine. Right?

Michael bobbed his leg up and down in an anticipation as I chewed on my chipping ruby-red nails.

And then a nurse with bright grey eyes and short brown hair opened the door which Luke occupied, and in those few seconds of the door opening all I could hear was sniffling, but the door shut before I could get a glimpse.

I stood up quickly, "is everything alright?" I asked hastily, my hand grabbing Michael's.

"Um, he have some good news and bad news." She said. Great, is this what everyone says to everyone in hospitals? I never knew movies could be so accurate.

"Good news first, I guess." Michael mumbled.

"Good news is that Luke's health is fine." She said with a small smile on her face which dropped as quickly as it came, "the bad news is that um, his legs aren't broken, he's paralysed from the waist down."

"What?" I snapped. I turned to Michael, his eyes wide in confusion.

"Paralysed?" He asked. The nurse nodded sadly, pulling her clipboard from under her arm and passing it to us.

"I'm going to need you to fill this in and then you can go in and see him." she said, another sad, small smile appearing on her face before she left us standing there helplessly.

Immediately, I pushed the door open and flung myself at the red-eyed, sticky-faced boy lying on the bed.

He wrapped his arms around my torso and hugged me tightly before letting go.

"I've already cried, I'm okay now." He said humourlessly, trying to lighten the mood in the small, depressing room.

I let my fingers trace his jaw line before saying, "it's okay. You'll be fine."

He sighed, "I'm not going to be fine. I'm going to be in a wheelchair for the rest if my life. I won't be able to reach the god damned cups in the cupboard anymore!" He snapped.

"Luke, listen to me - you're still the same person, you're still you. Just because your legs don't do what you want them to do anymore, doesn't mean you aren't still you." I said, my hands on either cheek. And before I could register what I was doing, I leant down, and pressed a slow, lingering kiss to his pink lips and pulled away quickly.

And then it went silent again.

And just like last time, it was pleasant.

And even when Michael walked in, giving a small, closed-lipped smile and sat down in a chair, the silence continued.

And we all bathed in the pleasantness of the silence and soaked it all up like little sponges until it became deafening and we were too full of nothing.

"Right," I said, standing up, "when can we take you home, eh?"

I turned to Michael who sat there, the wall seeming extremely entertaining. His eyes were glued to the never ending cold, blue, walls.

"Earth to Michael?" I asked, shaking his shoulder. He shook his head and looked up at me.

"Oh, um, we'll need to get a wheelchair then..." He trailed off, standing up abruptly and rushing out of the room to find a nurse.

--- / time lapse omg \ ---

Breaking the news to Ashton didn't go as badly as I thought it was going to go. He took it very well, actually.

"Luke's um... Luke's paralysed from the waist down." I said, biting my lip.

"Oh. Wait-- what?" He exclaimed, eyes widening in surprise, "are you serious?" He said, a small smile appearing on his face.

"Yeah... But I don't understand... If he's an angel can't he just... Fix himself?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed because I had been thinking about it since we left the hospital.

"No. He's not a pure angel. If you're a demon that turns into an angel, something like this always happens," he explained, "so, because he turned into an angel, he lost the control over his legs. Some people go blind, others go deaf... So, yeah, he was pretty lucky... Kinda." He chuckled into his mug of coffee.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips.

"Sorry." He paused, "I was just wondering whether he still had control over his wiener." And with that said, he walked past me still chuckling to himself and went upstairs to go laugh to himself just a little bit more.

I smiled at my brothers idiocy and grabbed a cup out of the cupboard.

"Hey! Luke? You wanna drink?" I shouted, a small smirk on my face.

~~~~~~

This is crap and I've made you wait like, 2 months and my reads on each chapter are decreasing and everything's been stressful at school and at home so ... Ew

aND DONT WORRY THIS ISNT THE END.
... SHES GOT A FEW THINGs to settle wiTH A CERTAIN SOMEBODY

vote? Comment? I
dk... Add to your library and moan about how badly written this book is?

Stephanie x