C h a p t e r 43

Wow it's been a while.
Sorry.

If you want, you could listen to 'Leopold Street' by The Paper Kites, you don't have to but I just really like it and I wrote this whilst listening to it so yeah.
~~~~

Many people would think that after settling down and sorting the majority of your problems out, you'd be able to sleep soundly at night. Even with the people you love around you.

I still had one more person to talk to, and in the middle of the night, he was the only thing I could think about.

I tossed and turned, careful not to wake Luke. I stared at him longingly for a moment and let out a sigh. He was gorgeous and courageous and so stupid and I couldn't ask for more.

With him in mind I turned over and looked at my alarm clock one more time before deciding that 4:46am was a reasonably acceptable time to drag myself out of bed, grab a pair of converse, coat and a special book, then make my way outside and down the street with my arms crossed over my chest.

Everytime I breathed out a puff of smoke would dance in front of my face which made me smile, remembering how Michael, Calum and I used to joke and pretend we were steam trains when we were little.

And before I knew it, the sky opened up and rain was falling lightly onto my face and hands and I smiled again as I stopped and looked up towards the dark sky and admired the small flickers of lightning which appeared in the distance above some small hills which as a child, always reminded me of marshmallows because they were such an odd shape, almost square even.

I then began walking again, my converse clad feet moving along the pavement as I continued to look over at the strange hills.

One more turn and I'd be where I needed to be: Calum's house.

As I took that one last turn, I shivered and let out another smokey breath, the rain making my clothes stick to me and cause me to feel something as cold as ice travel up my spine every now and then.

With a small, swift knock at the door I stood back taking in the detailed carvings on his brown front door. Bears and flowers and dragons danced over the bland wood and brought it to life, even if there was no colour.

My head snapped up to see a wide-eyed Calum standing in the door frame, fully-clothed. But as soon as he locked eyes with me, he lunged forwards and wrapped me in a giant, grateful hug which I immediately returned.

"C'mon in." He whispered as he pulled me inside by my hand. He guided me to the living room and proceeded to grab multiple blankets before wrapping them around me. I hadn't even noticed I was shivering that manically.

"Why are you here at 5:01am, Violet?" He asked softly, his gaze moving from the clock to me in a polite movement.

I pushed some of my wet hair out of my face before placing the book down onto the coffee table.

"That's why." I replied with a small pat on the top of the leather bound book.

"Violet," He whispered, "I thought I'd never see this again." His eyes started to well up with tears as he reached over and grabbed the book, pulling it into his chest.

"I made it my duty that before we took Luke home from... wherever we were, to find your journal." I murmured, "and here it is."

I fiddled with my fingers in silence before he shuffled up closer to me and embraced me in a side hug, leaving a small kiss on my cheek.

"Thank you, Violet." He whispered, his arms squeezing me tightly.

I leant my head, resting it on top of his before saying, "no problem."

"Are we friends again now?" He asked, his head moving to get more comfortable on my shoulder.

"Of course." I whispered, my eyes closed, absorbing the peacefulness of this moment.

And it stayed like that until I decided that 6:06am was the best time to sneak home, climb into bed next to Luke and pretend I had never left.

And no one noticed.

Except for me and Calum, of course.

~~~~~

I mean, this is probably the end :-(

Idk :-(

Kinda sad and kinda mad that I'm a terrible writer.

But thankkkkyouuuu x

Maybe if you vote/comment/idk, I can add another couple chapters... I'm not sure.