Chapter 69

Ricky
"Now that you're awake, the fact that you can't leave is making me impatient." I say crossing my arms. "Like ugh. It's boring here now."
"Well I can't do anything about it Mr. I mean I feel fine but to the doctors, waking up the way I did isn't normal."
"I-..know. I know..but it's so boring!" I complain as she laughs.
"Ricky you can go out. You don't have to be stuck here with me."
"Yeah but I don't want to." My phone rings, causing me to sigh. I take my phone out of my pocket and look at the caller ID. "I'll be right back."
"Sure."
I get off of the bed and head out into the hallway as I answer the phone.
"This is the Homeland County Jail. Press 2 if you would like to answer." It says quickly.
I click 2 and put the phone back up to my ear.
"Hello?" Skye's voice asks. "Ricky?"
"Hey. What's up?" I respond.
"Nothing I just want to check up on you."
"Really? I think I should be the one checking up on you." I say chuckling.
"Yeah Yeah. So, are you sure you want to keep the baby?"
I take a time of silence.
"I- Yeah." I answer without much thinking. "I am. You won't be out of there for a long time and I think I can handle everything."
"Let me guess, you told Nina and shes going to be by your side?"
I huff and try not to look dumb as I stand in the middle of the hall.
"You didn't?" She asks, almost knowing from my silence.
"I..well.."
"Oh my god you idiot. Look that's your relationship I'm not even gonna.."
"If That were true you wouldn't have been here."
"Okay that's fair, but seriously? Are you going to tell her soon?"
"That..that's none of your business."
"I think it is. If she's going to raise my child with you, I think it's best if I know."
"I have my plans Skye. Don't worry about it."
I hang up the phone and go back into the room.
"Who was that?" Nini asks.
"No one, don't worry about it." I respond with a smile. "So, since you can't leave, how about I ask the doctor if I can bring in some food of your choosing?"
She gives me a grin and nods.
"Alright, let me go ask alright?"

Flashback*
"That was some thanksgiving.." Ashlyn says in a sad tone. "I'm going to miss you guys."
We all stand in the airport with forced grins on our faces.
"Ricky do you really want to stay here?" Gina asks.
"Yeah I'm..I'm sure. I'll be fine. I got EJ and I'm willing to wait as long as I can for her." I answer. "If- when she wakes up, I'll make sure to call you guys."
"Obviously," Carlos says, "stay safe please."
"I will. Everyone will right?"
"Of course."
"Yup."
"I've been trying"
I sigh and hold my arms out.
"Group Hug." I state, "come on."
They all have a glimmer in their eyes as they all come together. I try my best to wrap my arms around all of them and hold them tightly as I place my head downs
"Ms Jenn wants us to come back for the spring musical," EJ says, "and you already know I'm going. I don't know about you."
"Of course. Wouldn't miss it." Seb says, basically speaking for all of us.
I hold in for just a couple more seconds before letting go of the group.
"Alright, you guys got flights to catch. Soon. I'll see you guys soon." I state.
"Bye guys."
Everyone goes their separate ways, but EJ holds Gina back to say their last goodbyes. It was refreshing to see them happy like that.
I wave to EJ because we took separate cars and start heading out of the airport. I try my best to not look back at my friend group but it was much harder than I anticipated and I gave in.

They all graduated together and I wasn't there. I wasn't there to throw my cap with them, instead, I threw it with people I didn't trust. I wasn't there to watch their reactions to the schools they were accepted in, all I did was wait for mine.
I wasn't there. Richard Bowen wasn't there for Big Red, his best friend. Richard Bowen wasn't there for EJ Caswell, his frenemy and Ricky Bowen? Ricky Bowen wasn't there for the love of his life that made his life worth living.
On my graduation day, I drank. On their graduation day, I'm sure they played the high school musical board game I know all too well. When they said their goodbyes, I was saying goodbye to myself. I changed over..and over again, trying to find the right version of myself but what if I skipped it? What if I fucking skipped my true self like a phase?
What if I was my true self with Nini?