she forgets about a date

The slam of a car door closing broke through the silence in the air.

You looked over at the clock on the wall. It's now after ten o'clock, two hours later than when Lisa said she'd be home tonight.

You heard her put the key in the lock and then open the door. A sigh fell from her lips as she took off her shoes before she began to walk through the house. She jumped when she saw you sitting on the couch. "Oh, y/n! You scared me." She laughed but when you didn't look over at her she frowned.

"What's wrong?" You nodded toward the table. Two plates of food were sitting there. The candles that you once lit had been blown out and the excitement had dwindled. Lisa swore under her breath when she realized what she had done.

"Crap. Baby, I'm so sorry."

You sniffled. "Do you know how long it's been since we've spent time together? We've both been so busy lately and I was so excited because we've had this planned for the last couple of days and it's all I've wanted. All I've wanted is to be with you."

Lisa put her things down and sat next to you. She took your hands into her own and it felt as though her heart shattered right in her chest when you looked at her with your tear-stained cheeks. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to forget, I promise. It's just that the day was so overwhelming and so busy and I,"

She paused when you looked away. "Hey," she squeezed your hand and looked back at her. "What if I told you that I don't have any obligations tomorrow?" She saw a small smile pull at your lips, but you hesitated to let it fully take over. "I know I forgot this date but let me make it up to you tomorrow. Me and you, your favorite place, and then we'll end the day here with a movie."

This time you couldn't fight it and the smile grew wider. "I'd love that."

Lisa's shoulders dropped in relief. She bit her lip as she looked back at the table. "I'm so sorry I forgot all about it. It looks amazing." You shook your head and crawled onto her lap, looping your arms around her neck. "As much as I was looking forward to tonight, I do understand that you have a busy job. I'm happy to drop it. I know you'll keep that promise tomorrow."

She kissed you softly and when she pulled away she buried her face into the crook of your neck. "You bet I will. You're my only priority tomorrow. I love you so much, I promise I'm gonna make it up to you."

You smiled and planted a kiss to her cheek. "I'm already so excited." You gazed into her eyes, admiring the look of adoration that they sparkled with. "I love you too, Lisa. So much."