Chapter 18.1

(Flashback)

It was my first defeat.

Why did this happen?

I always win...

...always.

And yet, because of this twerp standing beside me, I got to become second place.

I even worked hard on this piece.

I even went to the library, which rarely happens, to research on eco-tourism and what was recycling and all those bio-hazard stuff were.

The effort I put on this art was taken for granted just because he added more green paint in his?

Where is the fairness in this country?

My dad and mom said I was just over reacting.

My older brothers said Nicholas really did convey the theme better than I did.

As for my older sister Gerry, she said mine looked cuter, but that praise came from a person who draws stick figures as people.

I saw the twerp shaking hands with everyone as he received his prize, a trophy and the first place money prize, a total of Php500 difference from the second place money prize.

I was supposed to buy a new bike with that cash.

He ruined it.

That little twerp, Nicholas, why does he have to move here.

"Group picture, come on, everyone. Please gather at the front for a group picture." Said Mr. Santos, the organizer.

Thus, it basically means I have to be within the breathing distance of this guy.

Help me!

I have no choice.

I stood at the front of the podium as the rest of them gathered together.

And with proper decorum, they made us stand in one row, like the prisoners when they do group execution in death row.

I felt like I was in death row.

I stood there hoping that nobody would suggest for us to stand side-by-side based on our art standings.

But, of course, that was too good to be true. Someone yelled from the back to make us be toe-to-toe based on the art competition results.

I was really not happy.

Since I want to get things done and over with, I was the first one to stand on stage.

And as if rubbing salt on wound, this twerp said something so idiotic, I would have given him a taste of his own medicine.

"Why do you have to be the first one up here, Miss Second Place?" He emphasized on the last part.

The whole art students, who were gathered on the podium, who were trying to find their place, heard it and erupted with laughter.

For real?!

So this is how this twerp wants to play, huh?!

I just stared at Nicholas, my eyes blank as if I was on a daze and my hands started to form into lethal fists.

"Are you going to cry? Huh?" The annoying twerp taunted me... Me!

Did this guy forget that I am a black belter, or is he just plain stupid?

"Cry baby! Cry baby!" He continued to jeer.

That woke me up instantly!

I will never shed a single tear in front of this guy.

Never!

"I'd rather eat mud than to whine and cry about losing to a twerp like you." I stated in all seriousness.

That stopped the laughter, that halted the catcalls and that ceased the jibes.

That ended my reign as the best artist in the region.

And most of all, that made up my mind to start finding something I am really good at.

It took me ten more defeats from being first place in art competitions before I decided to lay low from the art scene.

After that, I officially "retired."

Nicholas, on the other hand, continued to gain popularity from all over the country.

(End of Flashback)

I glanced at him again and saw him struggling something with his hands.

"Are you trying to strangle yourself?" I mockingly said.

"Here, let me.", as I knotted the thing to his neck.