Chapter 1

NICHOLAS

Flight CQ78, destination Calgary, Canada, will depart in 5 minutes. Last call to...

It's setting off. I can't make it. I won't see her again.

Eric, my bestfriend, was rapidly driving his owner type jeep. Zooming in and out of several lanes, he is trying to overtake every chance he gets without a care for the high possiblity of getting ticketed.

"Lintek na traffic ito. Kelan ba aayusin ng MMDA yang tulay na yan. Pero huwag kang mag-alala, Nico." My best bud assured me, "maabutan natin 'yun."

"Sana nga bro. Sana nga..." I said sighing loudly.

I wonder if she knows what I'm doing right now.

We reached the NAIA airport after a horrendous traffic jam.

I was running like crazy to the terminal while Eric was wheezing like an old man with COPD behind me. As he was gasping for breath, we were suddenly stopped by the airport security.

"Hanggang d'yan na lang po, mga boss. Bawal po lumampas dito." The skinny guy said while pointing at the yellow line.

"Pero sir...may hinahabol lang po kami. Importante po talaga. Life and death kumbaga." Eric pleaded, while I kept looking for her all over.

"Hindi po talaga pede." Muscle-guy, the other security personnel, said with his arms crossed. I think he's trying to enlarge his already gargantuan biceps just to scare us off.

And you know what, any other day it would have worked, but today was different.

I was a man on a mission. I was so keen in finding her.

At that moment, I heard the page, "Last call to Calgary..." That was when all my common sense was thrown out the window.

I have to get to her.

I winked at Eric, and apparently my ever-perceptive buddy got my message.

"Mga tsong, wala namang ganyanan...pagbigyan n'yo na kami." Then he, an 18 yr-old asthmatic kid with wrists smaller than a woman's suddenly pushed Mr. Skinny and Mr. Muscle at the same time.

"Bro!" He said signalling me to run and never look back, which I did.

"Salamat bro!" I yelled while coursing through several onlookers.

I finally reached the right gate. I then saw several people boarding the plane.

I might not be too late. I can still get to her, and maybe let her see my point.

And then I saw it. I saw that wisp of black hair which I was so familiar with, as it was trying to get in the boarding gate.

I can still make it.

"Han..." I started to yell her name at the top of my lungs.

But before I can actually shout her name fully, I got pulled back by two strong arms.

"Huli ka!" Somebody said behind me. "Kala mo makakawala ka sa amin ha!"

Muscle-guy together with skinny dude were both dragging me away from the gate, away from the boarding area...away from her.

Last thing I saw was the flight attendant closing the walkway.

I, on the other hand, was sitting in a 4x4 room being interrogated by a group of airport security personnels.

I felt like I committed a crime and the only thing missing was a pair of handcuffs.

What these men did not know was I really was guilty, not for anything criminally offensive, but for a terrible mistake.

A mistake that caused me to think she will always be there for me.

Here I was thinking that she would never go away from my side. That she will remain within my reach.

But I should have figured out that the moment I become lax, that was the time fate would play a trick on us.

The moment I saw her black hair fading from my sight was the first time I really felt utterly defeated.

And that was also the same moment when I learned that I have to accept our fate, I will never get to see her again.