Chapter 13.2

NICHOLAS

(Second Meeting)

"Nico, wake up." I felt someone nudging me softly.

"Hay, itong batang ito!" Manang Rosa exasperated.

"Huh..." I was slowly arousing myself from my deep sleep.

"Dove sino io?"

According to Manang Rosa I speak Italian when I wake up from a good night sleep.

"Sei a casa, figlio." Manang Rosa answered back.

After 9 years in Italy, both of us are quite fluent with the language.

"I'm still at home." I suddenly rose up as I slowly recalled what happened last night.

"For a second there, I thought I was back home in the Philippines." I said feeling a tad disappointed.

"I can't believe that you slept on the floor. Do you know how cold these wooden floors are during the night?" She lectured.

"Get on your feet, figlio. Breakfast is ready." She said as she exited the room.

She did not have to tell me twice.

I heard my stomach grumbling since I did not get to eat dinner and I for sure don't want to miss breakfast.

What time is it anyway?

I have to get out of the art studio to check on my wall clock at the receiving area.

I do not keep clocks or watches in my studio since I want time to stand still while I'm at work.

9:30!!!

"Manang, is that the right time or am I just hallucinating?" I said while rubbing my eyes.

"That is the time." She confirmed.

"Why do you asked?" She said while placing two sunnyside ups on a plate.

"I'm going to be late." I said.

"Late for what? You don't have work until 2pm." She said knowingly as she placed a stack of pancakes.

"I meant I'm going to be late for the brunch event." I answered worriedly.

"Remember, day 2 of this Visual Arts Week is to socialize with people with tea and crumpets on the side." I said as my mouth kept on chewing.

I immediately grabbed some newly cooked bacon on my hand and drank some freshly brewed coffee that scalded my tongue as I ran upstairs.

"I need to go. Thanks for breakfast." I said

"But, but..." Manang Rosa said as she was placing more pancakes on the plate.

"...who will eat all of these?" She asked herself as she looked on the feast of food.