Chapter 30

HANNAH

I've been smiling for a while now.

I still did not understand what they were saying.

I caught one or two words, just simple ones yet I don't get what they mean.

They talked fast and quite rapidly, that I cannot catch up.

I must have looked like an idiot in front of them.

All I know was that these two are the owners of this nice quaint restaurant and they are mother and son.

The mother's name is Giussepina and the son is Alberto.

They had this place for a while now and the food is out of this world delicious.

The people were so nice and Nicholas seemed to know everyone who eats here.

He must be a regular.

They gave us a great seat.

We can actually see the water gushing from the canal and the lights that made the piazza looked so romantic.

Not that I'm thinking what were doing now is romantic, i.e. a date.

It's not.

It's just a simple dinner with a long lost friend from school.

Yup! That's it.

I said thoughtfully as I nodded my head in agreement to my subconcious.

We started talking about anything and everything.

I told him what my parents have been doing and he informed me what his was doing.

I said that I missed his mom's crinkles.

He laughed as he said his mom misses him.

His parents used to visit him once a year but since the bakery is booming and becoming so successful that some people even dubbed it as the Filipino version of TLC's Cake Boss, it becomes harder for them to leave the place for a while.

I asked him when was the last time he visited the Philippines.

He said it had been probably 4 years. It was a while.

I told him that he should go home soon and see the different infrastructures being built in our small old provincial place.

It suddenly became metropolis-ish.

We kept on talking continuously and before we know it, the restaurant was closing.

We stood up and helped in cleaning up when Alberto suddenly turned on the radio that played a love song by Norah Jones.

"Figlio, dance with her." Giussepina suddenly said in Italian to Nicholas.

Alberto took the chair that Nicholas was holding as the old lady grabbed hold of his arm and pushed him towards me.

I spun around and I found him face to face with me.

Eyes wide, he suddenly asked me to dance.

My startled face suddenly turned into a smile as I nodded.