Chapter 3

(Florence)

NICHOLAS

Here I go.

Another day, huh?

I stopped my Ducati.

These stoplights have been keeping me on the edge recently...or do they?

"Ahhh!!!" I shouted behind my crash helmet to release my pent up emotions.

Several pedestrians stopped in their tracks and looked at my direction. I must have been going crazy in their eyes.

Good thing the lights turned green as I immediately started my bike and sped through them.

I finally reached my house, my sanctuary.

At first glance, it looks like a decrepit building but in reality I had it interior designed.

Top of the class kitchen, 6 bedrooms, a den at the basement and a rooftop with an incredible view of the city, backyard had been strategically planted with trees to make is secluded from the public's view and of course, it has an amazing 360 art studio with a skylight dome-shaped on top.

I parked my bike in an attached garage and went in the house through the front door, which I always love.

I like that the mini porch with creaking built-in swings reminds me of southern houses. Good thing I pushed on that idea to be approved by my designer.

The moment I opened the door, reality hits me on why I am being on edge the whole day.

The lady standing in the middle of the foyer spoke.

"Nico, I think this is the year. I can feel she's coming. " Manang Rosa, my 52 yr old housekeeper, giddily said.

"Correction. She might be coming." I said while hanging my coat and helmet by the door rack.

That made my housekeeper pout.

Why does she always bring this up every year?

I scratched my head in frustration.

"How many times had her brother been given that award?" I asked.

I saw Manang Rosa counting silently. "Five times?" She guessed while putting five fingers up.

I laughed. "Manang Rosa that was supposed to be a rhetorical question."

She smiled sheepishly.

"But the whole point is, she never attended even once. So don't get your hopes up..." I sighed.

"But this time might be different..." She stuttered.

"No buts. I have already given up a long time ago." I said.

The old woman looked at me sadly. I moved closer and kissed her forehead affectionately.

"I'll get my stuff ready." I said while running upstairs to my bedroom to change.