Chapter 17

NICHOLAS

I just saw what she did.

Incredible!

I came in late as usual.

They told me that I should wear a necktie since this is a semi-formal event.

As I was struggling to tie this constricting thing on my neck that the lady had graciously let me borrow from their box, I saw her being obviously harassed by that loudmouth Sebastian.

Necktie forgotten, I immediately ran to rescue her from that bastard.

And then I witnessed her powerful right hook that sent Sebastian flying.

Amazed, I just stopped from where I stand nearly 5 metres from where they were standing.

I have forgotten that she is a black belter in karate and a tomboy at heart.

She can definitely take care of herself.

I remembered those days when she was sweating through high school gym class as girls her age focused more on playing badminton or any girly sports.

But no, not her, she'd rather play with the boys as she became co-captain of the karate club.

No surprise there since she started training when she was just three.

Apparently everyone of her male siblings had to learn martial arts since they were young.

She saw them practicing and wanted to join in so her parents enrolled her with them.

It was to train their body and mind as her father had once said.

I, on the other hand, focused more on tennis and became a regional champion.

I know, I am nothing compared to her defensive techniques but jeez, she's still a girl.

So, like I said, I was there standing in front of a defeated Signor Sebastian as he asked for mercy from a girl who was standing up like the goddess Artemis with a triumphant face.

For some reason, I felt sorry for him.

Then I saw Sebastian's army of men slowly gathering close-by as they tried to save him from this girl.

Oh no! Trouble is brewing.

I need to butt-in.

"I never knew you will be this barbaric!" He winced from pain, I supposed, as one of his friends tried to help him stand up.

He was mad.

I guessed he was never humiliated this way before.

With that in mind, he was definitely not thinking straight when he raised his hand and tried to punch a girl.

She was on defensive mode.

I can sense that she cannot move as quickly since she was wearing heels so what a boy to do but to come to her rescue.

"I think that's enough." I said as I caught his flying fist with my left hand.

I was shielding her from the possible blows of this guy's punches.

"You should accept it when you know you're defeated." I shoved him away.

"You should stay out of this Reyes, if you don't want to be beaten." Sebastian fumed.

"I don't think I can do that." I said mischievously.

"And why not?" The bastard demanded.

"Because you're about to hurt my girlfriend." I said simply as I put my hand around her waist.

She looked at me momentarily in shocked as I smiled at her.

"Huh?!" Sebastian said confused. "I thought you were unattached."

"I just said that so no one will bother us. Right baby?" I smiled to her again.

"Ye...yeah, ba...baby." She stammered.

Sebastian looked at us momentarily. Maybe he was trying to see through our facade.

"Well, if it's you Nicholas, I will back down." He said post contemplation.

He knew I have connections and power to bring him out of commission from any businessmen.

"But you should teach you girlfriend to learn her place." He said still boiling with anger.

"I think she just did what I think she should have done." I said.

"I would never choose a wimp for a girlfriend." I said as I winked at her.

She blushed a bright shade of red.

It was nice to know I have that effect on her.

"Hmmp!", was all the bastard said as he flicked his hand to tell his friends to walk away from a war they could never have won in the first place.

Once they were out of sight, she suddenly spoke. "You can let go now."

I noticed that my hand was still on her waist.

I removed it quickly since I don't want an uppercut myself.

But I will for sure remember the feel of it against my palm.

"Thanks." She said with her eyes looking straight at me.

That woke me up from my fantasies with a jolt.

Her eyes are so pretty that I might have a nosebleed.

I should control myself.

Control myself! Control myself! Ohmm...

I closed my eyes as I say this mantra in my head.

"Nicholas," an angel was staring at me as I opened my eyes.

"...are you okay?" she said as she casually touched my cheek.

No! I am not okay.

I wanted to shout.

"I think you might be slightly feverish. You're quite hot.", as she continued to feel this time my forehead.

I am sick.

I am lovesick and have the hots for you.

No! No! Do not think indecent stuff...

...not yet, anyways.

Control yourself! Think of your mantra.

"Maybe it's just the weather." My voice squeaked.

She must have thought that I was an idiot, who had just reached puberty.

"Maybe it is." She said smiling.

Ahh! So pretty.

My heart fluttered.

"It's nice to see you again. It has been a while, huh." She's starting a conversation with me, a normal conversation.

I should respond to it, don't I?

"Yeah! How long had it been?" I said scratching my head.

Twelve years, 6 months and 24 days, but whose counting, I thought, as I answered my own question.

"Long enough." She laughed.

I love her laugh, so natural and at ease.

"It's a surprise that you're not bullying me anymore. And what's even more surprising is that you saved me from an actual bully." She laughed again as she slapped my shoulder playfully.

I could have died right then and there.

"I guessed years changed you to become more mature." And more courageous for that matter, I added thoughtfully.

"I guessed so." She said as well.