Chapter 56

HANNAH

I walked back towards the hotel feeling defeated.

I thought my momentary enjoyment would suffice the gap between my heart.

But that was just it.

They were all momentarily.

I took the transit and ended up in a street that I was not familiar with.

I kept on walking and tried to ask several people for directions.

Most of them were locals and did not know how to converse in the language that I know, mainly English.

I really needed to study Italian.

There was nothing I can do but to walk and try to find my way back home.

I felt my stomach gurgling from the whiff of bread that wafted in the air.

I suddenly looked up and saw the source of my hunger.

A baker was putting out his latest creation by the window and was terribly attracting my digestive system.

I quickened my steps and ordered the biggest croissant I can pronounce the name of.

Of course, I added a cup of cocoa and sat on the counter chairs by the window.

(Flashback)

I remembered those college days when I used to buy bread at Nicholas' bakery.

His mother was quite friendly every time I dropped by.

Even if the whole place was busy enough with people buying her ever famous pastries, she always had time to help me personally.

There was only one event when she did not had the chance to serve me.

I was buying my favorite crinkles when I noticed that she was not around.

I kind of missed her touch whenever she was packing my goodies, she always wrap it with yellow ribbons instead of their trademark blue.

I asked her one time why she does that, yet she just answered me with a mysterious smile.

So that day, the lady who helped me tied my bag with a blue ribbon.

As I was walking out of the store, I was approached by someone with a brown hoodie.

I was hesitant at first, thinking if I needed to call for help.

The guy suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled his hoodie down as I saw his face.

"Shhh. You'll scare them." Nicholas said as he gestured towards the other customers.

"Nicholas!" I was stunned as I recognized my probable assailant. "Ahh! Don't do that again. I almost hit you. I thought you were a hermit with that hood on!"

He laughed heartily. "And yes, I am at your mercy oh beautiful knight."

When did he learn to talk so suave like that I dunno. Did he learn that in the university?

"Come with me for a second." Mister Hermit pulled me behind their bakery.

"What for?" I said suspiciously.

"I want to show you something." He said as he kept on pulling me towards the backyard until we reached the main gate to their house. Their house was just behind the actual bakery.

He put his finger close to his mouth as if warning me not to say a word.

I found his behavior skeptical.

Imagine that this nemesis of mine had been gone for years and then out of the blue pulling his rival to somewhere secluded.

I have to keep my defenses up.

He pushed the gate open and what I found dazzled me.

Hundreds of yellow bells drooped along the walkway towards their house as if making an arc of flowers.

It was like a secret garden.

I smiled and spun around as if copying the billowing-skirt-like petals of the said posies.

After I stopped spinning, I found Nicholas gone.

And all I saw on the ground was my bag of goodies wrapped with a yellow ribbon with a written phrase that says...

... "For the special one."

(End of Flashback)

I smiled to myself at that significant memory.

Here I was, back in a bakery.

And I was trying to satisfy my stomach when I saw a black motorcycle passed-by.

I almost spilled the hot liquid that I was currently drinking.

For a second there, I thought Nicholas was the owner of that bike.

No!

It can't be!

There should be a dozen, make that a hundred, people in Florence who drives the same two-wheeler.

So I kept on eating happily as I concentrated on the bread.

Then for some nagging reason, I looked up from it and saw the motorcyclist pulling up at the house right across the street.

The guy parked his Ducati and removed his helmet, and lo' and behold, there stood the guy I was trying to forget the whole while.

The irony of finding him here was heartbreaking when I was trying so hard to let him go missing, from my sight, forever.