Chapter 40

HANNAH

"Hang up?" She looked puzzled.

"I did not hang up on you, Nicholas. My phone's battery went dead so the call got disconnected."

I explained and also told him the rest about trying to call him but I do not have his number and just fell asleep as I waited for my phone to be fully charged.

"Then why did you not call me back this morning?" He defensively asked.

"Because I was having breakfast with my brother." I stated.

"And you think that will excuse you to what you've done to me." He said.

"I haven't had a single wink last night." He complained.

"Pinuyat ba kita?" I asked playfully.

"Oo!" He shouted even though I was just an inch apart from him.

Then he embraced me tightly, "Pinuyat mo ako kakaisip sa'yo." He spoke in Filipino.

I smiled as he continued to wrap his arms around me.

I was enjoying his embrace when I heard the wolf whistles. "Get a room." One of the tourists even said.

I laughed as he stood up as fast as lightning.

He helped me up as I continued to hold both of his hands.

"Nicholas, I won't let go, if you won't." I said to him.

He smiled and said, "Remember that you're the one who said that." As he held my hand tighter.

"Hannah, I never had a girlfriend because I was waiting for that one girl." He finally said.

"I was waiting for you." He mumbled.

He mumbled that last part so I did not quite hear it.

"Nicholas, I never had a boyfriend as well." I said, no more secrets.

"Then who is Rico?" He suddenly asked.

"Rico?" I said suspiciously. "Were you eavesdropping on me Mr. Reyes?"

"No." He said defensively.

"I just accidentally heard you say that name. So I thought..." He said looking cutely as he stared down at his foot.

"He's my boss." I said.

"Whaattt?!" He looked shock.

"Yep! He's my 62 year old publisher who kept on pestering me to attend this event even though we were in the brink of publishing an issue. Now, he kept on calling me non-stop to ask what's what." I said.

"Wow!" He said still looking shock.

"Then, he's the guy I should thank." He mumbled.

"What did you say? You mumbled again." I said.

"Huh?! Oh nothing." He said thoughtfully.

"And what about you?" I said since we are cleaning out the closet. "Why did you say you have a girlfriend to those girls in your class yesterday?" I countered.

"Who? Maxine and her group?" He said. "Those girls annoy me. They kept on asking irrelevant questions."

"And anyways, what I said was the truth. Well, half of it anyways." He continued.

"I do have a girlfriend."

"But you just said you don't have one?" I'm confused.