Chapter 38 - Moment of Nearly Running Away

What did I just do? What did I just do? What. Did. I just. DO?!

Jeongyeon was in panic mode. She left the dressing room holding her face in her hands. She wasn't about to cry, but she wanted to be safe so that no one could see her facial expression.

Luckily, since the backstage space was truly a maze, she just went through the hallways that seemed less crowded or not crowded at all.

She felt the white heat of shame coursing through her body and she felt every hair on her body stand up.

She couldn't believe she did it. She couldn't believe she confessed. And now she was running away from it. Running away from the stage, running away from the performance. Running away from Jihyo who was right behind her.

Jihyo didn't even waste time in the dressing room. As soon as she saw Jeongyeon leave, she ran after her.

They passed near Blackpink's dressing room, not noticing Lisa who was inside. They passed Red Velvet's dressing room, and right after them Joy and Yeri came out, which was a lucky break for Jeongyeon because she was in no mood to talk right now.

She passed Chungha somehow once again. This time she was eyeing Jeongyeon from head to toe as she walked past her. She also gave her a smile. Jeongyeon just nodded as she continued to walk forward. She did not have the time for her or to analyze Chungha's recent actions. Again, Jihyo was briefly stopped by Chungha, but this time she just said to her: 

"Yeah, not a good time, I'll talk to you soon" as she continued to walk towards Jeongyeon.

It was hard for Jihyo to catch up to Jeongyeon considering Jeongyeon had longer legs, bigger steps and a faster pace, so at some point, Jihyo just started to run.

When she was close enough to her, she calmly shouted:

"Jeong!"

This put a stop in Jeongyeon's running. She took a few steps further before she had the strength and the courage to turn around. Her eyes were already red, but she still wasn't crying.

A million thoughts were going through her head, but she couldn't focus on any of them properly as she looked at a frightened Jihyo. A determined, but frightened Jihyo.

They stood there in silence as the tension was building inside of that particular empty hallway.

How Jeongyeon got lucky to end up in such an empty hellway was beyond her, but she was happy that she did, because the tension was unbearable.

Her breathing got heavier, her eyes were looking at Jihyo in anticipation for whatever she might say. And she said nothing. Jihyo said nothing. And neither did Jeongyeon.

It was tense to say the least.

Jihyo looked like she didn't know what to say, and in all honesty, Jeongyeon couldn't blame her. I mean... What would I say if the situation was the other way around? She's so brave... Like, immediately facing this situation head on... Even though she looks unprepared, she's still here. She still wants to be there for me. And it's so unfair. So unfair that I have to push my situation onto her plate and be another burden for her. - Jeongyeon nearly felt a tear approach her eye, but she managed to keep it dry for now.

"Please... Please don't run away from me. I have short legs and you are fast." Jihyo then pleaded while gently wiping a bit of sweat from her forehead. She looked adorable as she did that, at least according to Jeongyeon.

But Jihyo was also serious. And she looked sad at the same time. Sad and like she didn't know what to say to Jeongyeon.

Jeongyeon didn't know what to say either at that point, so she just quietly nodded at Jihyo's last statement.