Chapter 1 - Moment of Relief

Jeongyeon was sitting outside of her company's CEO's main office.

She was nervous, she was even sweating a bit. Her hands weren't shaking but she felt they might at any given moment. She was even slightly fidgeting in her seat.

 She was even slightly fidgeting in her seat

She didn't know why she was so nervous. She didn't need to be, as far as she knew. Nothing happened that should make her feel nervous, and yet, there she was, weighing every thought that would come to mind, trying to figure out why she was called to be there. Well, technically, why Jihyo was called to be there.

That same morning, Jihyo got a call in their small dorm from her CEO, telling her that he wanted to talk to her personally about the group and their future.

"Shouldn't the whole group be present?" Jihyo asked.

Jeongyeon kept looking at Jihyo while she was talking. They were the only two in the dorm currently and they were hanging out in their small kitchen, preparing a meal for themselves. The rest of the group was out of the dorm, either doing small group promotions or taking their time off by having a relaxing day in the city.

Okay, her eyebrows furrowed, that means she's listening intently. Okay, she's nodding her head while scratching her forehead.... And now she's biting her lip, that means she's worried. I've come to read that face way too easily over the years not to notice when something potentially bad is going down. And also Jihyo is not much of a "hider", at least not in front me heh... Okay, Jeongyeon, focus, what is her body language telling me? Is the group in trouble? Is Jihyo in trouble? I wish I could hear where this conversation is going specifically...

Jeongyeon sat there with her thoughts, looking at Jihyo while also peeling carrots. She never lost sight of what she was doing, but she could concentrate on Jihyo's movements without any trouble.

"Mhm... Okay... Okay..." those were the words mostly coming out of Jihyo's mouth while she was talking on the phone, her mouth staying closed most of the time. She was still nodding.

Come on, Jihyo, talk to me! Tell your ol' pal Jeongyeon what is going on.

At that moment, Jihyo started to walk around their small kitchen.

Okay, she's getting more nervous... Whenever she does that little walk of hers, I know she's getting more nervous.

Jihyo ruffled her hair with her hand and started to look around, still agreeing with what is being said on the other side of the line.

Ugh... Can she not do that? Can she not ruffle her hair like that...? Jihyo, please! Jeongyeon bit her lip.

Without much thought, Jihyo started to walk towards Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon on the other hand went back to her carrot peeling, not wanting to look like she was only staring at Jihyo.

Jihyo was now behind Jeongyeon, staring at the ceiling. Jeongyeon knows this because she can hear Jihyo's voice being projected upwards. "Yeah, I understand all of this, but don't you think it would be better if we were all there for the announcement?"