On My Way 3x11

It's been two weeks since I opened the letter. I still haven't told Finn, I want to, but I just don't think I can. He's been asking about the Ohio State letter, and I keep telling him it hasn't come yet. Still haven't even told my mom that I'm engaged, which I probably should.

These thoughts yank me out of my bed and I walk downstairs early on this dark Monday morning. Hood up and sweatpants cuffed, I walk down to the kitchen.

"Mum?" I ask as I walk in the room.

"yea hun?" She responds, coffee pot in hand.

"I need to talk to you about something, I think you should sit down" I say and she looks at me confusedly. 

"Um, okay", she pulls her seat out and sits, I do the same.

"So, as you know, I've been dating Finn for a year now. And I really really love him. You know that." I start off, not really knowing how to break the news of my engagement.

"Okay" She says, wondering where the conversation is going. "You're not-" Asking if I'm pregnant.

"No, no mom. I'm not. But-" I shake my head. "I want to show you something" I decide to just bring my hand out and show her the little diamond on my left ring finger.

"Oh my god" she says. "Oh my god. Oh my god"

"I know-"

"You really want this?" She asks, calmly, which I didn't expect.

"Yes, I love him mom"

"Well, I'm gonna talk to Carole... but I honestly just think that it's too soon. You've only known him for two years, you should wait. There's so much in the world that you should be able to experience before you get married. What about college?"

"I got into Yale" I smile, finally being able to tell somebody about my accomplishment. "I'm going to Yale with Quinn" I let it out and can't help but jump up and hug my mother.

"That's so amazing, I'm so so proud of you" My mom holds me in her arms for a few moments. "Have you told him yet?" 

I shake my head "He's going to Ohio State to play football, he expected me to get in there so we could go to school together and blah blah" I say, sitting back in my seat. "I have no idea how to tell him"

"Well, you have to go get ready for school, if you want we can talk about this later?" 

I shake my head no. "I have to go. See you after school, love ya"

I drive to school and I barely make the first warning bell. I head into the choir room where everyone already is and sit next to Quinn.

"I have some big news I need to tell you" I smile "But it's a secret, only my mom knows" I put out my pinky.

"Bathroom?" She asks and I nod, getting up and walking down together.

"I got in" I smile and jump into my best friend's arms. "We're going to Yale together"

"What about Finn? Are you guys still getting married?" Her smile fades.

I shrug "I have no idea what the plan is right now. All I know is that I'm going to spend another 4 years with my bestest friend on earth." My face is bright red, from my smile.

"Did you get into Ohio State?" 

"I got waitlisted, but I told myself when we first applied to Yale together, that in the slight chance I got in, I was going, no matter what. And I need to keep that promise to myself. If I go to Yale, I can do anything I want in my life, I can get whatever job in the universe. The world is mine."