Chapter 8: Th Elf and The Human

Jungkook's POV

The prince knocks on the General's door. Hoseok opens the door. "Your Highness, Jungkook? What brings you this late." he welcomed us in. 

"I would like to speak with the General before  I practice my sword skills. Huh? He's practicing this late. "How can I help you?" the general asked,

"Have you looked into the case like I've asked?" he said to the general.

"Yes, your highness. Both living and nonliving bodies have bite marks on their necks. The Kind suspects a vampire did it. But vampires don't kill their prey just by a bite. Plus a vampire wouldn't be that precise to bite in the same place. The bites have poison in them. I suspect someone released a venomous snake spell on them before they were murdered just to slow the targets down." The General explained. 

"So you are saying someone who is able to do magic has done this? Thanks for the information, General." Jimin's eyes widened.

"It was all thanks to Hoseok. He really found this out. Now before you two leave, may I speak with Jungkook privately?" Jimin nodded and waited outside to chat with Hoseok.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Did he ask anything regarding the Queen?" he asked me.

"Only about my past, he doesn't suspect anything yet." 

"That's good. The Queen is targeting us. She sees us as a threat, especially you."

"Why me?" I questioned

"I wish I could answer that. She wants you far away from the princess."

"Yeah, you don't think I've noticed?" I said with anger.

"Do you like the princess?" he asked me. Do I like her? Of course, I do. Do I like her more than a friend?

"I've known her for a long time, but I can't say how I feel for her yet. I just want her to be safe." I responded.

"You're a good man Jungkook. Good karma is on your way." he sent me off. 

I headed outside to seek Hoseok and Jimin laughing. I've never seen the prince in such a state. He seemed like someone very serious and competitive, a little mischevious too. As soon as I coughed my through, they both stop to giggle. "Your highness where to next?" he smiled and lea me to the training arena. He tossed me a real sword. 

"Here! Show me your skills?" he challenged. I've never used a sword in my life, but I've observed knights in the distance and learned somethings, the clanging of metal echoes through the night were sounds I never got tired of.

"Needs improvement," he commented

"I've never done this," I said.

"Really? I thought you were trained for this. Not bad, rookie." he said as we swung swords. We never cut each other and would stop right when we knew defeat I finally got an advantage over him.

"Normally people choose wooden swords for training, in my culture we go straight to metal swords. If someone can't handle holding a sword in fear, we dismiss them for the day and give them one more chance to become a knight, if they fail again, they are kicked from being part of the guard."

"Damn you talk a lot, your highness." I laugh

"Are you doubting an elves knowledge."

"No not at all, it's just a distraction on your end," I say as we go at it more. The clattering of our metal against leather armor quickened. Soon enough we were both exhausted. 

"You win this one Jimin."

"Nowe both did," he said back as he hands me a flask of water.

"I would not want to end up in a fight with you."

"Be aware I wasn't fighting as hard as I normally do, considering you're new," he said.

"A bigger reason not to mess with you."

"I could say the same to you Jungkook. I see a lot of potential in you. Now that I'm tired, maybe I'll collapse on my bed." he smiled.

"Do you do  this every night?" I asked

"Yes, for the most part. I am an insomniac. In the time I am awake I do things that require a lot of physical work just so I can be tired enough to fall asleep." he explained as we walked back to his room. 

"Have you ever had tea before, it soothes the body," I suggested. "Tried it, only works if I'm sick," he said. We talked all the way until we got to his room. "There is no need for you to guard me, get some rest," he said to me. "But-"  "Jungkoo go to sleep." and he closed the door. 

"Are all elves this bipolar? One minute he's really kind, another he just wants to mess with me." I laughed to myself.

In the morning Jimin went to take a bath and I made it the opportunity to check on the patients. Today is also the funeral of all the staff we lost. Luckily all the people hurt were awake and a lot better. I walk to the chef who was sitting on his bed drawing a flower in a vase. 

"How's your drawing?" I asked him. "Not the best, but I like to practice. I spend so much time in the kitchen and town it's hard for me to do hobbies like these," he said

"Come on Jin. You need to relax more. We offer you help." one of the maids said as she sat up from her bed.

"I like to be responsible for my own work," they argued.

"I'm sorry to say I didn't really come here to chat. Is it alright if I ask some questions now that you are fully awake." Jin and the two other maids agreed to my request.

"What happened right before the attack?" I asked.

They took a moment to think.

"I don't remember a lot." one maid said as the other agreed.

"Well, I remember it vaguely. I was cleaning up the kitchen and one I finished I was headed to my sleeping quarters. As I walked down the halls I felt a sharp pain in my neck from behind. I put my hand over whatever was there and I tried to get it off, but it only made it worse. I recalled something removing the snake from me and slithering away. I blacked out after that, the last thing  I head was screaming from someone else." he explained. 

"Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing a couple of snakes and a person removing it." she said.

"Did they say anything?" I asked her. 

"Something about a warning. They used a spell to muffle their voice. I couldn't tell if they were a man or woman." she explained. 

"Thank you for this information, it'll be enough for now. Get some rest." I said my goodbyes and made my way to General Min for some reports.