Chapter 49 Finally We Can Be Happy

Katniss POV

 Loud crying tears me from my sleep. I groan and climb out of bed, looking to a sleeping Peeta before leaving our room and walking to Rye's room. I open the door and walk over to his crib, picking him up and sitting down in the rocking chair.

"Its okay little boy, calm down." I say softly while rocking back and forth. His crying slowly stops and he smiles at me. "See? Mommy's here."

Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe and here it's warm
And here the daisies guard you from every harm
And here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

I look down and see he's fallen asleep so I lay him back down and walk back to my room, crawling into bed next to Peeta and falling asleep right away.

~The Next Morning~

The smell of pancakes fills my nose waking me up. I sit up and look to see Peeta's gone and the windows are closed. I get up and make my way downstairs to the kitchen to see Rye in his chair playing with Peeta's oven mitt while Peeta is standing at the stove.

"Good morning." I say walking over to the table.

"Morning Kitty." he says walking over to me and kissing my cheek. "Sleep good?"

"I had to get up for Rye last night." I say sitting down.

"I'm sorry baby. If I wasn't such a heavy sleeper than I would get up." he says kneeling down in front of me.

"Its alright, did you get him up this morning?" I ask.

"Nah..he got himself up Kitty." he says making me laugh.

"Haha...very funny cupcake." I say.

"I know. I'm funny." he says kissing my forehead and heading back to the stove. I walk over to Rye and pick him up.

"Hey little boy, you sleep good? Huh." I say making him smile. "You look just like your father."

"But he still has your smile and hair Kitty." Peeta says.

"I know but your perfect eyes." I say. Rye laughs and starts to mess with my hair. 

"I got Finnick to watch him today." Peeta says.

"What? Why?" I ask confused.

"Because I wanna spend a nice night with my Kitty." he says. I smile and he brings me a plate with pancakes.

~Later That Day~

"Okay, he needs a good two naps a day and always warm milk." I say handing Rye to Finnick.

"Calm down! Annie's there too and she's gonna treat him like her own son. Relax." he says.

"I know but still. I know you." I say making him frown.

"Thanks. I'll bring him back tomorrow morning." he says. I nod and give Rye a kiss.

"Be good." I say. Peeta gives him a kiss as well before they leave. I look to Peeta who smiles and picks me up, kissing me lightly.

"Now its time for you and me baby." he says carrying me up to our room.

"Peeta...I don't need another little Mellark running around." I say making him smile.

"No need. I got protection." he says setting me down and kissing my neck. We fall into bed but he pulls back. "Kitty, thank you."

"For what?" I ask.

"For this. For being with me, for giving me Rye, for making me so happy." he says. "For my life."

"I love you so much Peeta and I have to thank you for staying with me after everything I did to you." I say. He shakes his head and pulls me up for a kiss.

"Your my everything baby, and I love you so damn much. Finally we can be happy." he says.

"Yep, finally we can be." I say running my hand through his hair. He nods and leans in, giving me the best night I've had since I found out I was pregnant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAHHHH!!! I bet alot of you thought he would ask her to marry him!!! BOOM! You were wrong!!!

Nikki :)