Chapter 6 Breaking Love

Katniss' pov

I was scared for Peeta. I really was. We used to be friends. Really good friends, but I started to date Gale and things went down hill from there. I didn't know that Peeta loved me. I don't even know why I kissed him.

"Katniss?" Gale SNAPS me out of my trance.

"Sorry what?" I ask. I love Gale, but I hate him at the same time.

"Why did you save bread boy?"

"He deserved it." Oh god. I should not have said that.

"He deserved it huh?" I nod. "Well you deserve this." He punches me in my ribs. I scream out in pain. I fall to the ground, clutching my side. He then starts to kick me repetitively. Gale has never been like this to me, why is he doing it now? "Gale....stop...." I sob. "Please...." He continues to kick me. I see blackness overtaking my vision, but then he stops. My hearing is all echoey. I can't hear properly. I open my eyes and squint at the figures. It's Gale and...Peeta? One of them pushes the other one. Was it Peeta who fell? I hope not. But then I see the blue eyes that I have come to recognize over the years when we were friends. Peeta.

Sometime Later

I open my eyes but feel the pain in my chest. I remember Gale punching me than kicking me while I was on the ground and Peeta helping me. I inhale and try to sit up but the pain increases and I lay back down.

"Hey, your awake." I turn my head and see Peeta. "You okay?"

"What? Oh, I'm okay." I say. "What happened?"

"Well, I walked in with Finnick and heard you yelling. We came around the corner and saw Gale beating you. So I stopped him." he says.

"You beat Gale?" I ask surprised. Nobody in school ever beat Gale.

"Yeah, one good hit and he was out." he says. I nod and feel my rib cage.

"Did he break something?" I ask.

"Yeah, two ribs but everythings okay." he says.

"Okay, can I leave soon?" I ask. He shrugs and stands up.

"I'll go and ask." he says leaving the room. Why is he so nice to me? Why did he help me? Sure, somewhere deep in me I may have feelings for him but I love Gale...I think."

Than he walks back in.

"You can leave today but your going home. I can bring you if you want." he says.

"You'd take me home?" I ask. He nods and walks over to my bed, holding his hand out. "What?"

"Come on, you can't get up by yourself." he says. I take it and he slowly pulls me in a sitting position. I swing my legs of the edge and he helps me down. "Hold on." he says letting go and walking to a bag on the other side of the room. Than he walks back with my shoes. "Hold still." he puts them on and ties them.

"I can still tie my shoes Peeta." I say making him smile.

"But you can't bend over." he says. Well, he is right, I can't.

"Alright, lets go." he says helping me up again. We leave the nurses room and start out walk down the hallway. "I'll walk you home."

"What about Gale?" I ask worried.

"Its okay, he won't find us. The cops got him." he says.

"What?" I ask.

"Somebody called them. It wasn't me, I was busy helping you." he says. 

"Okay, thats good I guess." I say looking down.

"Love hurts, I know." he says. I look up but he has a blank expression. "I've know that for a long time."

"I'm sorry Peeta." I say.

"Don't be, nothing can be changed now." he says. Than I relise how broken he really is and its all my fault.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soooo......._fangirl_fandoms_ wrote the first half of this chapter and it was really awesome. Check out her profile and follow her.

Nikki :)