Chapter 24 He Always Gets His Heart Broken

Katniss' pov

"Katniss!" Delly shouts whilst storming through the door. Cato left about an hour ago to get on his flight back. Peeta is still in hospital. Cato said he loves me and I love him so I have no interest in Peeta any more. He broke my heart in about 3 million pieces.

"Yeah?" I shout back.

"No need to shout I'm right here." She says. I look at my door. She stand there, arms crossed and an angry expression on her face.

"Yeah?" I say.

"Amber told me what she did. Peeta almost killed himself, I watched your little fight. When you Lethe kept bashing his head against a rock. He left a note in his trouser pocket and a box. I think it was for you. Peeta woke up this morning. He was in pieces. He kept repeating to himself that he should have died. He almost did kill himself. We didn't even notice that he keeps a knife in his phone case. I saw him. He was about to plunge it in his heart, but I stopped him. I took that knife but he had others with him. He started to cut again. They were taken away by a doctor. I saw you. I saw you kiss that dude. You know I thought you were better than that. You just moved on, hours after the event! Amber was forced to do that. She wants to tell you why but she said that she only can once the deed is done, whatever that is. You didn't even let Peeta explain! Just go talk to him. He really needs to explain. He really needs to say sorry to you. He really needs to talk to you." Delly says. I let a few tears fall. Did Peeta really risk killing himself for me? I still love him, yes, but I'm in love with Cato.

"Well that's not going to happen because I love Cato!" I shout. Oh shit. I cover my mouth.

"Typical. He always gets his heart broken." Delly laughs then frowns. She rolls her eyes and walks out. She then walks back in. "Thought you might want this." She hands me the box and letter. She leaves and slams the door. I look at the box and letter that just landed on my bed. I pick up the box and open it. It's a ring. A ring? It's not an engagement ring? Is it? I see it has an engraving on it. I look at what it says.

I love you always and forever ~ Peeta

I let a tear fall. Maybe I shouldn't have let Cato in. I pick up the letter, with shaky hands. Slowly, I open it.

Dear Katniss,

I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen. I was going to give you this for our anniversary but I decided to now. I had this feeling ever since I drank that tea last night. It was like I loved you and Amber at the same time, which is not true, I only love you. If anything bad happens, I want you to have this, to remind you that I will always love you. It was supposed to be a promise ring, a promise that I will stay with you forever. Always and forever. So I make that promise now. Put this ring on now.

I put on the ring and continue reading.

I promise to love you, no matter what. I promise to stay with you, I promise to love you, even though something bad is going to happen which may or may not involve us, I love you.

I let tears flow down my cheeks.

Katniss I really do love you. ~ Peeta.

I collapse into sobs. I grab my phone and quickly open up my messages. I see that I have one from Cato... Weird.

Him - Katniss, I don't think we should be together anymore. I love you and you know that. I hope you love me. I want to see you but the distance is too far. If I ever see you again, I promise to love you once more. Cato xxx

What? I still love Cato though. I want to be with Cato.

Me - I'm coming to district two. I love you.

Him - I love you too

I turn iff my phone, pack my bags, once more, grab everything of mine and put Peetas room back in shape. Yes you heard Peeta. Turns out I really did miss him. Is it even possible for me to love two people at the same time? Yes. I debate weather or not to keep the ring and letter. I decide to keep it. After all, I still love him, even though I love Cato. I walk out the room and down the stairs. I quietly sneak out of the door and go to the hospital. I walk up to reception. "Peeta Mellark?" I ask. She nods and types things into her computer. "Room 303 floor 3." I mumble a thank you and run to the stairs. I run up them and find room 303. I open the door and see Peeta banging his head on the wall. I shut the door. He turns around.

"Katniss?" He asks. I nod.

"I read your note."

"You did?"

"Yeah. Thank you for the ring."

"Your welcome." He smiles. I see how scarred he is. He looks so weak, so damaged"Look Katniss, I'm sorry-" I cut him off.

"I know, I'm sorry too."

"I love you."

"I know, but you can't."

"W-why?" He looks like he is about to cry. I take a breath.

"I'm in love with someone else."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another chapter written by _fangirl_fandoms_ Please check out her books and follow her.

Nikki :)