Only Hope Chapter 23

Brooke's Pov:

"How are you feeling?" I asked. I crouched down onto my knees and looked at the man who lain in misery and soreness. "I think I need a kiss to make me feel better," Jack moaned in agony. He rolled over on his back and adjusted his position on the couch. I pushed back his hair out of his forehead and examined his nose. Then, I thumped his head. "Ouch!" he yelped, grabbing the spot where I thumped him. "I am being serious. How are you feeling?" I asked with worry. His cheeks turned bright red, it was cute. "I'm okay." I shook my head. "Okay is not a feeling," I said. "Yeah it is! I am feeling okay. People say that," he said. "Think what you want to think because I know 'okay' is not a feeling. It's a saying," I said. He smirked as he sat up and took my hands in his.

"Brooke, I am feeling much better than I was before. Does that please you?" I smiled and nodded. "Good. I do not want you to worry," he whispers. His eyes bore into mind with adore. He brought my hand up to his lips and kissed my hand with great tenderness. Even though it was a small gesture of gratitude, I couldn't help but feel my heart beat rapidly from his touch. It was a feeling I have always wanted to feel since the Louis issue.

But I pulled my hand away from his grasp and stood up. I could not lead him on. There was no way I can have a normal relationship or even a friendship. "I will be back," I whispered and left him with disappointment. I walked to the kitchen to grab him a wash cloth for his nose, and as I did I walked past a startled Louis who stood besides the doorway, trying to be hidden.

"It is not good to spy," I stated. He walked to me and stood besides me as I grabbed a wash cloth and soaked it in cold water. "I wasn't spying," he said. I stifled a laugh and I turned to look at him with amusement. He kept an unreadable expression but when my eyes met his, a smile broke out across his face and the same thing happened to me. "You're a dork," I commented. "And you're a weird-o," he teased. "You wish I was," I said, "loser." "Well sassy-face, in my opinion I am a winner." "Oh is that so? I think you're more of a failure, freakazoid." "Tramp." We fell silent and looked at each other with no words escaping our lips. His face fell into realization and regret flickered in his eyes until a few seconds later we erupted with laughter.

Our eyes were squeezed shut and our stomachs cramped up from laughing so hard. Tears streamed down from my face from both happiness and pain. The happiness because for once we're not arguing and we are having a good time. The pain from my sore stomach muscles and my weak body did not help it. It only made it worse because of the disease.

His eyes coruscated with glee and he held a goofy smile on his face. We calmed down after a moment and continued to stare at each other in the eyes. I pulled my lip in between my teeth to stop the smile from going more- if that was even possible. "I still hate you," I said. "I still hate you too," he said. I raised my hand in a fist and I punched him in the arm before I ran out of the kitchen and to finishing helping Jack.

Louis' Pov:

I smiled to myself from the previous event with Brooke. My hand touched the place where she punch me at. The punch didn't hurt at all, and I'm sure she didn't want it to hurt because that is just her. It was strange that one minute we will go at each other and blow up in a heated argument. The next we will be joking around like old times. I know she has some hateful feelings towards me (the feeling is mutual) but I also know that even though we despise one another there is still an amorous feeling. We may not agree on things- Dylynn and Jack- but if we were ever in a predicament situation we will be there for one another.

"What are you smiling at?" someone asked from behind me. I turned around to see them having a knowing smirk across their lips. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "It is nothing," I said, "nothing happened." "Oh come on! Louis, it is clearly obvious there is still love between the two of you." "Shut up, Horan." Niall giggled back and walked forward. He gave my back a pat before jumping on the kitchen counter and took a seat.