Chapter 44

Chapter 44

The restaurant was a bright red with multiple pictures on the walls of various things. It was deserted besides the employees. The hostess hands them their menus, says their waiter will be with them shortly and returns back to the front of the restaurant.

Jason's POV:

I scan the menu; my eyes going back and forth on the page. The pictures of the food looked so good. I was not really sure what to pick.

"Have you been here before?" Rubbie asks.

"Never." I become so overwhelmed with the menu choices that I start to feel dizzy.
"I just want a chicken sandwich." I close the menu.

"Do you want an appetizer?" She asks, with her eyes big like a puppy.

"Are you asking or are you telling me we're getting an appetizer?" I smirk.

"We're getting an appetizer." She says with conviction as a waiter comes to our table.
"What appetizer would that be?" He asks her, taking out his pad of paper and a blue pen.

"Pretzel bites." Her smile shows her pearly whites.

"Are we ready to order or do we need a few more minutes?" He asks.
"The chicken sandwich." I say before Rubbie could open her mouth. "And a coke." I say, more calmly.

"I was going to have that too but with a Dr. Pepper." She looks at the waiter.

"I'll have those out shortly." He finishes writing and leaves the table.

"Sorry, I'm just really really hungry." I confess before the awkward silence steps in as we wait for our appetizer.

Within the next few minutes, our pretzel bites appetizer come along with our drinks. We both devour them in less than five minutes.

"What made you want to join the gang, Rubbie?" I ask her, leaning onto the table.
"My home life wasn't the best and I wanted to get away from it." She says monotone and uninterested at the topic at hand.

"What was so bad?" I ask, trying to get her to open up more.

"My parents weren't around much so I decided to run away to find people that actually cared." She said, as our chicken sandwiches came out.

"You've only been in the gang for two months." I said, taking off the lettuce, tomato and onion. "I know." That ended the conversation.

A/N: Now you know more about Rubbie's backstory. Would you like to know more about her?