Chapter 85: Graduation

Friday came by in a flash. Before Joe knew it, he had walked across the stage and taken his diploma from Principal Hallman. And then, as the hallways were silent, he walked through them in hopes that he wasn't the only one. Decorations were taken down, lockers were emptied. It was only Joe in his graduation robes. And then came the music.

["Viva La Vida" by Coldplay. The song that was almost the "Don't Stop Believin'" of Glee.]

Joe: I used to rule the world... Seas would rise when I gave the word. Now in the morning I sleep alone... Sweep the streets I used to own...

He continued to walk, not knowing that a few hallways away, John was doing the same.

John: I used to roll the dice... Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes. Listen as the crowd would sing, "Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

Joe continued looking around as he walked just one hallway away from John.

Joe: One minute I held the key. Next the walls were closed on me.
John: And I discovered that my castles stand. Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand.

They nearly crashed into each other when they rounded corners, joining each other down the next hallway.

Both: I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing. Roman Cavalry choirs are singing. Be my mirror, my sword and shield. My missionaries in a foreign field. For some reason I can't explain. Once you go there was never. Never an honest word... And that was when I ruled the world...

They kept walking, believing to be alone, but there were two other people still in the campus, also wondering what their futures would hold now that it was possible that their glory days were over. In the choir room, Finn and Sam arrived and looked around at everything that had changed. Finn looked inside the trophy case, forcing a smile as he saw everything he'd once won.

Finn: It was the wicked and wild wind. Blew down the doors to let me in. Shattered windows and the sound of drums. People couldn't believe what I'd become.

Sam looked over to the chairs, picturing all of the glee members from the day when he'd joined. He pictured himself singing "Lucky" with Quinn, followed by an image of singing a mash-up with the boys for Coach Beiste, then singing "Baby" to Quinn.

Sam: Revolutionaries wait... For my head on a silver plate. Just a puppet on a lonely string. Oh, who would ever wanna be king?

The images were all gone and once again he was looking at an empty choir room as he joined Finn by the trophy case.

Both: I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing. Roman Cavalry choirs are singing. Be my mirror, my sword and shield. My missionaries in a foreign field.

John and Joe walked in, surprised to see them there, and walked towards them, joining them.

All: For some reason I can't explain. I know Saint Peter won't call my name. Never an honest word. But that was when I ruled the world. Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh...

They looked at the trophy case as they hummed. Finn turned first, seeing himself sing "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" with Rachel. As that image faded, it was replaced by Sam's own image of singing "A Whole New World" with Julie. Then it was Joe, singing "Rhythm of Love" on Valentinte's Week, shooting glances at Bree to let her know how he felt. And finally, John turned and saw himself from just a few weeks ago, singing "Can't Help Falling in Love With You" with Ryder and noticing the way Marley looked at him.

All: I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing. Roman Cavalry choirs are singing. Be my mirror, my sword and shield. My missionaries in a foreign field. For some reason I can't explain. I know Saint Peter won't call my name.
Sam and John: Never an honest word.
Finn and Joe: But that was when I ruled the world...