Chapter 76: Whatever Comes Next

"Will you sing with me?" Marley asked as the music began. Julie didn't have a chance to answer. 

["Catch Me" by Demi Lovato.]

Marley: Before I fall too fast... Kiss me quick but make it last. So I can see how badly this will hurt me when you say goodbye...

Julie rolled her eyes as Marley pulled her up to the floor.

Julie: Keep it sweet, keep it slow. Let the future pass and don't let go. But tonight I could fall too soon into this beautiful moonlight...

Marley put an arm around her friend and squeezed one of her shoulders. Although she was much taller than Julie, standing next to her she felt so small and she didn't mind.

Marley: But you're so hypnotizing.

Both: You've got me laughing while I sing. You've got me smiling in my sleep.

Julie: And I can see this unraveling

Both: Your love is where I'm falling. But please don't catch me...

Julie felt herself smile as she and Marley separated and put some space in between them, facing the others. There was something about singing with Marley that made things seem more wholesome and pure. Maybe it was the fact that Marley was one of the few wholesome and pure people she knew.

Marley: See this heart won't settle down... Like a child running scared from a clown.

Julie: I'm terrified of what you do. My stomach screams just when I look at you.

Marley winced when her eyes lingered on Jake for a moment. A split second and she already knew that he was looking at Julie, not her. Although she didn't feel herself as madly in love with him as she once was, it was still a bit of a slap in the face to see him watch another girl in the way he used to look at her.

Julie: Run far away so I can breathe. Even though you're far from suffocating me. I can't set my hopes too high 'cause every "Hello" ends with a "Goodbye"

As they repeated the chorus, Julie looked around at her friends and noticed how peaceful everything was without the other Cheerios in the room. There was still Harmony, but even she seemed less evil without two thirds of Satan's trident looming around.

Julie: So now you see why I'm scared. I can't open up my heart without a care

Marley: But here I go, It's what I feel

Both: And for the first time in my life I know it's real

They sang the chorus one more time and grinned as their peers gave them positive feedback. Will smiled; he knew this song wasn't strong enough for Sectionals but he liked the atmosphere it gave the room. 

Julie: If this is love please don't break me

Both: I'm giving up so just catch me

Marley was pleasantly surprised when the song ended and Julie hugged her. They had hugged before but it was typically in moments when one or the other was deeply depressed. This was the first time they were both truly happy together.

***

"That was awesome!" John chimed in beside Marley as they left the choir room later that day. "You and Julie sound amazing together."

"Thanks!" she grinned from cheek to cheek. "Thank you for telling me that was her favorite song! I think she really enjoyed it."

"Great," John sighed. "Because we know it's bad when Julie gets involved in the Cheerio wars."