Chapter 81: Athens of the South

"Welcome to the 2014 Show Choir Nationals competition," said the announcer a few seconds after the New Directions had taken their seats in the large stadium. They were all anxious to find out who the judges were.

"I'd love to have Carrie Underwood," said Shana excitedly. "Ooh or George Strait!"

"Shh," Kitty told her, waiting to hear who was announced.

"Give it up for your judges," the announcer continued. "From Adolescent Mother, give it up for Violet Bryant." The New Directions, along with everyone else, clapped as a plus sized sandy-haired girl stood up, a toddler hanging from her neck, and waved at the crowd.

"Hey, Quinn," Sam whispered. "You know if college doesn't work out..."

A few of the New Directions turned around to look at them and laugh as Quinn scowled and hissed, "Bite me."

"Next up," the announcer went on, "celebrity dog-walker and weekend chef, Victor Garcia!"

"Love his work," Sugar cheered, clapping louder than anyone else in her section. Julie and Ryder smiled at each other in amusement when they saw how enthusiastic Sugar was about this celebrity who, frankly, sounded made-up. 

"And last but definitely not least," said the announcer, "put your hands together for country music and television personality, Blake Shelton!"

"Oh my gosh, I think I'm about to pass out!" Shana said, fanning herself quickly. The girls were on their heels clapping. Even some of the guys felt themselves a little starstruck.

It took a a while for the roar to die down, but when it did, Sugar leaned into Rory and said, "This definitely makes top three best competition judges ever."

"Really?" Rory responded. "Who beats Blake?"

"Ok, so there was Lindsey Lohan," Sugar began to list, holding up her fingers, "and, uh, Tickles the Clown."

Rory made a weird face, raising an eyebrow as he questioned Sugar's judgment but before he could respond the judge was saying, "And now... all the way from Westerville, Ohio... Give it up for Dalton Academy's Warblers!"

The crowd cheered and Julie glanced over at Harmony. Harmony looked at her and gave a simple nod; this group was definitely the favorite this year.

The boys, most of whom Sam and Finn didn't even recognize, walked onto the stage. And there was Sebastian Smythe-- now a senior-- leading his guys in an acappella performance of Flo Rida's "Club Can't Handle Me."

"Legit..." John murmured. Marley nodded beside him, tugging on her hair nervously as she wondered how they could possibly beat them. 

"I hate orange," said Kitty, looking down at her dress and thinking she looked like a carrot.

"Unimportant," Bree whispered to her, not taking her eyes off of the Warblers.

On stage, Sebastian was determined to untarnish their bad reputation from the previous year. He'd worked hard the last few months just to get them where they were and now he had a chance-- his last chance-- to make things right for The Warblers before leaving.

When the song ended, the crowd cheered as they transitioned into their next song and then the one after. After they were completely done, Julie played with the necklace around her neck nervously and waited as Throat Explosion was introduced. 

Ryder noticed how nervous she was and turned to look at her when he noticed the necklace. He had thought she'd stopped using it for good but now realized she just didn't wear it with the Cheerios uniform-- the girls couldn't wear jewelry anymore. She felt his eyes on her and turned.