Chapter 29: Eye of the Tiger

"I realized something over the weekend when I was planning this week's lesson," Mr. Schue as he greeted the glee club during lunch for their assignment. It was the second week since the break had ended and he was finally ready to give them an assignment.

"Sweater vests were never in?" asked Kitty, making a few people laugh. Marley rolled her eyes and Mr. Schue ignored her comment.

"There's an even number of kids in glee club!" exclaimed Mr. Schue. He looked back at the blank faces and explained, "Before Sectionals, I wanted to hold a duet competition. I know we had the duet assignments, but those were random. My second year teaching glee club, Sam Evans had just joined and I had the club split up into partners of their choice for duets. The winners, Sam and Quinn got a prize and the starring duet at Sectionals. Since we already had Sectionals, that can't be but there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to have another sort of prize... Maybe ultimate pick on which musical we do later in the spring?"

This announcement lifted everyone's spirits. Immediately, they all started brainstorming the spring musical they'd choose after they won.

Mr. Schue laughed. "I guess that means you guys are in," he said, getting them all to settle down. "Alright then. Go ahead and sit with your partner. You have ten seconds to decide."

John looked over at Julie, hoping to get her attention and call her as a partner. Just as Julie looked over at him, Kitty grabbed John's hand and smiled, indicating that he had no choice in the matter. Julie saw this and turned back to Jake, but he was already sitting down with Ryder and bumping fists, so she figured they were both out of the question. She turned to Bree next, but to her surprise, Bree had already settled down beside Shana. Marley and Unique were together, Joe and Sugar had chosen each other and her next best bet was Dan.

Amity was debating who to go with. With everyone moving around, she wasn't sure who was already taken. However, when she saw Alex across from her standing up, she figured he was still looking for a partner. So she started walking towards him but Dan stood in front of her. "Come on," he told her, prompting her to sit with him. She did so, to Alex and Julie's dismay.

Realizing she had about three seconds and there weren't very many choices left, Julie dashed towards Harmony, as did Alex. However, just as they both reached her, she took a seat with Rory. So it was Julie and Alex left standing. Scoffing, she joined him in the back of the room and took a seat.

"Now," Mr. Schue continued. "Send one partner to come and tell me a song from... let's see... What's something you all like?"

"Beyonce!" Bree exclaimed as Kitty cried, "Spice Girls!" and Sugar said, "Movies!"

Mr. Schue smiled at Sugar, who was the loudest and said, "Movies, sure. One partner come line up with your choice of a song from a movie."

"We are definitely doing Beyonce," Bree told Shana, who just shrugged as the former stood and headed for Mr. Schue.

"What do you think?" Jake asked Ryder. Ryder looked over at Julie and Alex, a glance which did not go unnoticed by Jake.

"Umm, I don't know," Ryder told him. "Your choice."  Looking back at Julie, Jake nodded and headed for Mr. Schue.

"Ooh, can we please do 'Wind beneath My Wings' from Beaches?" asked Marley. Unique sighed and nodded, so she merrily went to tell Mr. Schue.

"What song?" asked Joe as he got up. Sugar shrugged. "You chose the category," he reminded her.

"I love American Gigolo," she told him with a smile.

"So Blondie?" he asked. She nodded and grinned at him so he knew that was what they were going to go with.