Chapter 58: Back to the Beginning

RIP Robin Williams. His movies were inspiration for myself and many others. He will be dearly missed. Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones :/

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I wasn't expecting you all to be here," said Julie when the glee club showed up at the burial the next day. It was an event to which only the Vasquez and St. James families were expected to be, yet her classmates and the alumni had also shown.

"We figured you'd need as much support now as any other day," said Marley, explaining why they'd all decided to join her.

"We called your dad and he said we were free to make it," said Will, who was there with Emma, Shannon, and even Sue. 

"I had no idea you were going through this kid," said Sue, putting a hand on her shoulder. "You really fought through that like a warrior."

"We're all really sorry for the way we acted," said Unique. "We didn't know--"

"I didn't tell you," shrugged Julie. "Anything that happened because of that is in the past."

They all stood there in silence as the burial took place. It didn't take long, considering the ceremonies had already taken place the previous day, but as the family poured fistfuls of dirt into the grave, it somehow didn't seem like they were ready to let go.

"Can we sing a song?" Julie asked just before throwing her dirt. "I found that yesterday really helped and Isa... my mom really liked it when I sang to her so--"

"Of course," said Mr. Vasquez. 

Julie nodded, turning to her friends. "Bye Bye by Mariah Carey?"

Several of them nodded and without needing any music, Marley counted them off and they began singing.

All: This is for my peoples who just lost somebody. Your best friend, your baby, your man, or your lady. Put your hand way up high. We will never say bye.

Julie: No, no, no

All: Mamas, daddies, sisters, brothers, friends and cousins. This is for my peoples who lost their grandmothers. Lift your head to the sky 'cause we will never say bye.

Julie knelt down on the ground, not caring that she was dirtying up her dress as she began to slowly pour dirt into the grave, singing.

Julie: As a child there were them times I didn't get it but you kept me in line. I didn't know why you didn't show up sometimes on Sunday mornings, and I missed you. But I'm glad we talked through... All them grown folk things separation brings. You never let me know it. You never let it show because you loved me and obviously there's so much more left to say if you were with me today face to face...

As she began to break down, Marley quickly picked up, realizing she wouldn't be able to do it herself.

Marley: I never knew I could hurt like this and everyday life goes on like...

Rachel watched as Cory knelt down beside his sister and decided to give her support by joining in.

Rachel and Marley: I wish I could talk to you for awhile... Miss you but I try not to cry. As time goes by...

Rachel: And it's true that you've reached a better place still I'd give the world to see your face...

Rachel and Marley: And I'm right here next to you but it's like you're gone too soon. Now the hardest thing to do is say bye bye...

As they all sang, Bye bye, Julie let Cory hug her, both of them crying as though nobody was watching. A few of their friends were in tears, too, even though not many of them had met their mother. Julie looked up, clearing her throat, and continued pouring dirt into the grave little by little.