Chapter 10: Legacy

Over two weeks passed since the most embarrassing dinner of my life and I still couldn't get over how awkward that was. Now it was the first Monday of October and I had so much going on that adding that to my plate of worries seemed inconsequential. Only it wasn't. Nobody could know. At least that's what I had requested.

"No worries," Dan had told me that day as we walked out of the restaurant. "Nobody has to know about this unless you want them to."

"It's not that I'm, like, embarrased of you or anything," I assured him. "I just would much rather not have to answer everyone's questions."

And he understood. So we dropped it. And for two weeks, we kept it a secret.

Now, I walked into school followed by Bree and Carrie, from the squad as we ran into Kitty and John.

"Hey girls!" Kitty chimed.

"Oh..." murmured Bree. "Um hi... We'll, uh, talk later."

That was yet another addition to the awkwardness between John and me. Awkwardness with Kitty. I begged the other girls not to be weird about it, but they all came to an agreement that Kitty had chosen John over me by not breaking it off. I totally did not agree but once a cheer-cision has been made, it's hard to override it. Especially with Bree on board.

"I don't want to be mean to her," Bree said as we walked off. "Believe me, that's not the intention at all. I just think it's a little insensitive of her to strike a conversation with you while she's standing there in his arms. It's just not cool, you know?"

"It's whatever," I assured her. But a part of me did feel that way. I did miss John, the old John at least, but I couldn't really blame Kitty for wanting to be with her boyfriend. 

Pretty soon we passed by Joe, who was in front of a poster with his face on it, telling us to vote for him in the upcoming presidential election. He turned and saw us watching him, startled.

"Oh, hey ladies," he said with a smile.

"You're running for president?" Bree asked.

"Well, yeah," he said. "I really dig helping others, you know, so I thought what better way then to carry out the legacy of fellow glee club members."

***

"Legacy," Mr. Schue said as he wrote the word on the board that day during lunch. "I just got the greatest news. Joe has informed me he signed up as student body president and he has made it to the final level."

"Elections are happening already?" said Kitty.

"At the end of the week," Joe said with a proud nod as he stood.

"The last two years," said Mr. Schue, "the school president came from this room. Actually, so did the runner ups and vice presidents."

Bree did not like the sound of that, given by the look she gave me.

"Hopefully I can count on everyone in this room to keep that going," Joe said as he grabbed his guitar. "But just in case you need more convincing, here's my main running point. I want everyone at this school to feel like they have the power to make change and I want to represent the voice inside every single student."

The music began and Joe had his usual intense look on.

Joe: Now in a world where innocence is quickly claimed... It's so hard to stand your ground when you're so afraid...

He continued with the song and I didn't really get how it connected to his message until the very last line.

Joe: Young girl don't cry. I'll be right here when your world starts to fall.