Chapter 13: The End of the Beginning

Wednesday passed with a courtyard performance of "Makes Me Wanna Pray" by Kitty and Joe, which I was sure was just Kitty trying to prove to the Christian club that she could be at Joe's spiritual level. On Thursday, the day before the elections, things got real.

"How dare you?" Marley was shouting when I walked into the choir room. Wow, you miss the first three minutes. I hurried over to my usual seat, between Dan and Ryder, and watched as Bree, who was standing in the center, responded to Marley's outburst.

"Oh, I'm sorry?" she responded. "Did I offend you?"

"That's just taking things a little too far, don't you think?" Jake said, making Marley scowl at him.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"In order to take a break from the whole election thing," Dan explained, "we decided to start brainstorming for the school musical, which we hope to start casting next week. But..."

"How dare you suggest Hairspray?" Marley said to Bree. "That's just evil and cruel."

"Why?" said Bree, looking really confused. "Honestly, Marley, like, I literally want you to explain why it's so bad that I want us to do Hairspray."

"It's not a bad idea," Kitty vouched for Bree.

"Of course you would agree," said Marley, crossing her arms.

"Okay, seriously," said Bree. "What is your deal?"

Marley didn't respond so Joe took over. "Okay, let's consider our options," he said as he took the floor, next to Bree.

"I have," Bree said. "Everything else just wouldn't work."

"What about Big River?" suggested Sugar. 

"Too controversial for Lima," said Bree. "Just a few years ago, there was debate over the placement of Huckleberry Finn in our libraries so I'm pretty sure they aren't going to take well to Big River."

"RENT?" said Kitty. "We certainly have the numbers for it."

"Chicago could be fun," Unique added.

"Too much revision needed for both," Bree argued.

"What about Carnival?" said Joe.

"A show with puppets?" said Kitty.

"Not enough dancing," said Bree.

"Into the Woods," I suggested.

"Eww," was all Bree replied. I made a face at her and then there was debate.

They kept at this for a while until finally, Joe stepped in once again and said, "Hairspray does seem like the best option for us."

"That's what I've been saying for the last eight minutes," Bree said.

"Sorry, Marley," Joe told her.

"Why is it such a big deal?" Unique asked Marley, as the latter angrily stood.

"Why don't you ask Kitty how I got my eating disorder?" Marley mumbled as she stormed out. We all turned to Kitty, who looked as though she'd just been caught in the middle of a robbery. She tried to talk but the words had escaped her, so instead she walked out of the room and Joe dismissed us, saying he'd be giving our choice to Mr. Schue.

"What do you think that was about?" Dan asked as we left the choir room and headed for the cafeteria.

"It's a long story," I told him. "But don't worry about it."

"I'm sorry they said no to Into the Woods," he told me. "You'd be a good Little Red, you know, with the red hair and stuff."

I laughed. "I hate the hair, but thanks," I told him.