Chapter 62: Picnic

"Sorry again for not calling you last night," Ryder apologized as he and Julie made it to her locker the following morning. "Soon as I got home I knocked out."

"It's okay," she assured him. "What'd you guys do anyway?"

"Made bracelets," he told her. "Talked about our feelings... And made cards to our gals letting them know all of the reasons we love them."

She laughed but when he pulled out a bracelet and a card she stopped. "Oh, you weren't kidding," she said.

"Their attempt to get us to connect to our feminine side," he said, shrugging. "I wish I could say I at least wrote a card to you but we pulled out names randomly and I didn't get yours."

"It's fine," she said, shrugging. "Who'd you write to?"

"Uh... Marley," he answered.

"Oh," she responded.

"It's not like a love letter or anything," he replied a little too quickly. "It's just nice things, you know? Self-esteem boosters and stuff?"

"Yeah, it's totally cool," she shrugged. "I get it and it's not a big deal."

"But..." Ryder went on, digging into his backpack once again. "I figured I don't need to be assigned to have something for you, too." He handed her the bracelet, along with a different card for her.

She pressed her lips together as she opened the card, revealing a single sentence written in the middle. I love you. She looked up at him, her brow creased, and felt at a loss of words.

"I know we've only been dating for a few weeks," he told her. "But I've loved you for over a year. And I just thought you should know... You know, that you have somebody who really loves you and would do anything... anything... for you..."

She nodded, reaching out to hug him. He didn't smile as she pressed her head to his chest, but he knew she would be okay. And that's all he needed for now.

***

As Joe walked towards the choir room for lunch, he heard a knock behind a closed door, making him stop in place. He turned to it, startled and, before looking around the empty hallway, opened the door. The lights were off and as he switched them on a hand pulled him inside. 

Shutting the door, Bree leaned against it and watched him. "What are we doing in a broom closet?" he asked her, looking around with confusion.

"Please don't talk," she said, stepping forward and kissing him.

"Whoa..." he said as he pulled away. "What is this?"

"This," she explained, "is the only way I'll continue this. I see the way you look at me and I can tell you want it to go on. So if you want that, it'll have to be by my rules. It'll be only when I want it and I say so. And nobody will find out about it. Got it?" He nodded, dumbfounded as she began to kiss him again, turning off the lights.

***

Sam strolled into the choir room wearing a sweater. Having seen Finn do this before, the glee kids laughed. "What are you wearing?" Kitty asked him. "You look like an overgrown cabbage patch kid."

Sam looked down at his torso, admiring his outerwear, and said, "It's kind of itchy and too warm but I figured it was the only way to get you all involved, like Mr. Schue does."

"Look Sam," Sugar began, "it was nothing against you. We just kind of get tired of the same ol' stuff, you know? Walking in here, singing songs, leaving. That's all we do. We need a change of scenery."