Chapter 80: Late Night Bonding

"You think we'll win tomorrow?" asked Ryder, his fourth attempt at starting a conversation with John.

"Don't know," John responded, as he had to the last three questions Ryder had asked. 

"So, uh, what do you plan on doing after you graduate?" he asked then.

"Don't know," John mumbled, looking down at his phone screen.

"What's your name?" Ryder asked.

"Don't know..." John said, obviously not even paying attention anymore.

"Do you know anything?" Ryder asked, sighing.

"I know I'm going to kick your ass if you don't leave me alone," John said. 

Ryder sighed. "Fine," he said. "Whatever then."

John suddenly started laughing, though it didn't take long for Ryder to realize that it was at something someone on the other end of his texting had said and not anything to do with him.

"Texting Marley?" Ryder asked.

John looked up for the first time since they'd been in the room and said, "None of your business."

"I'll take that as a yes," Ryder responded. "Listen man... Marley's kind of like my best friend and I'm totally over her. So if you're into her you can tell me. I won't, like, get mad or anything..."

John rolled his eyes. "You are such a girl..." he muttered.

"Just saying," Ryder went on. "If you were into her... It could be fun... Double dates with me and Julie..."

"Sounds awful," John said, turning his attention back to his phone. "Why do you even care? Scared if I don't like Marley I'll fall in love with Julie? I mean, it would make sense after our night of passionate whatever."

Ryder frowned. "Ok, we can quit talking about this," he said.

"That's what I thought..." John muttered. "Now that we're there though... You should know that she was pretty freaked out."

"I would be, too, if I woke up naked next to someone else," Ryder nodded.

"No, not just that," John shook his head. "I mean, yeah, that too. But also because of you."

"Me?" asked Ryder. "What do I have to do with it? She had to know I wouldn't have, like, dumped her or blamed her or anything."

"Sure," John said. "But she really treasures her virginity-- and by the way I feel completely weird and grossed out talking about this... But, uh, she gave me the impression that she wants her first time to be with you."

Ryder was silent for a second; this thought had never crossed his mind. Sure, he thought about it-- he was a guy, how could he not? But he never expected her to want that from him, at least not while on her meds and without clouded thinking. 

"Why are you telling me this?" Ryder said finally.

"So you won't screw it up," John shrugged. "She's the real deal, dude. You can't hurt a girl like that."

"Is that why you don't like Jake?" Ryder asked him. "Because he hurt Marley?"

"Are we seriously back to the Marley thing?" John sighed. "Ok, yes, what he did to her pissed me off and continues to do so. It's one of many reasons I'd never want him to date Julie."

Ryder cringed. "Yeah, that's my main reason, too," he sighed. "Even more so than the fact that I'm dating her."

"Great," John said as if things were extremely simple. "Then you have one job. Don't screw it up."

***

"I think this is the first time we've been alone together," Kitty said, painting her nails as Amity sat on her bed with a book in front of her. "Isn't that weird? I mean, we're both in glee club and in the God Squad."

"But I'm a quiet, shy girl and you're a cheerleader," Amity said softly. "It's really not that weird when you see it that way, don't you think?"

Kitty looked up with a frown. "You're angry," she declared, nodding. "You're mad because of what the Cheerios have done to Julie and to Shana and you think I'm to blame."

Amity shook her head. "Not you," she said. "At least not directly. Though, if I'm being honest here, I do think you could've done something to stop it."

"I lost my Cheerio power the moment I befriended Marley and started dating Artie," Kitty scoffed. "You didn't really know him but--"

"--but he's in a wheelchair and was kind of a nerd," Amity nodded. "Yeah, I've met him. And you know what, I don't see how there's anything wrong with that? Had it been Julie who dated him, all the popular girls would've thought it was trendy to date a sweet, kind boy like him. But you made it into something to be ashamed of."

"No, Bree--" Kitty began defending herself.

"You had so much power," Amity shook her head disapprovingly. "So much influence. You could've made McKinley a great place for those of us who sometimes don't feel safe in our own skin. But instead you made it hell. I'm glad by the time I came around Julie had already toned things down. But now, I'm scared. Thanks to you and Bree."

"Why are you scared?" Kitty asked suddenly.

Amity turned to look at her as though it was obvious. "You let Carrie take charge," Amity said. "I've heard things about what it was like to be in glee club before any popular kids joined. Being tossed in dumpsters, locked in portapotties... A slushie facial on a regular basis. Unless Carrie softens up to the glee club... Next year is going to be awful."

"It won't be that bad," Kitty tried to reassure her.

"For you," Amity said. "You're a cheerleader. You can stay on the inside. But the rest of us? The glee club? The God Squad? AV club, drama club... What about the rest of us who aren't athletes or super gorgeous girls in skirts all day?"

"Ok," said Kitty finally. "I hear you. So I guess this means I'll have to find a way to either get someone more qualified back on the throne or make Carrie a more qualified leader. This should be fun..."

***

"You suck," said Alex as he got under the covers.

"Back at ya," Dan muttered, pulling a pillow over his face in case Alex said anything else.

Alex turned off the lights and that was it for their bonding.