Chapter 51: New Girl

The day back from Spring Break, McKinley High School was a different place. The teachers looked younger, the students looked tanner, and the warmer weather made everyone happier. So when Ryder and Julie walked through the doors, hand-in-hand, not everyone was as interested in their relationship as they were in their own lives.

When they reached Kitty and Bree, who were buzzing away about their weeks, Julie cleared her throat. "Oh, hey Jules," Kitty said, going right back to her conversation about her brief fling with her grandmother's neighbor. Julie rolled her eyes, clearing her throat again and raising her hand along with Ryder's. "Oh my gosh!" Kitty exclaimed.

"So you two have finally made it official, huh?" Bree asked, smiling as the two nodded. "Took you like a year. Nice."

Ryder rolled his eyes, letting go of Julie and kissing her cheek ."I'm gonna go catch up with the guys," he told her. "I'll see you ladies later." Julie waved at him, turning to her friends and smiling.

"Oh my gosh you're glowing!" Kitty grinned. "You're not pregnant, right?"

"Still have my v-card with me, thanks," Julie said, rolling her eyes. "I actually had very limited contact with him over the break."

"Oh right," said Bree as she closed her locker and they headed to class. "How was California?"

"Great," Julie told them. "Cory gave us a tour of his school and of Los Angeles. I spent a lot of time at Malibu Beach, which might just be my new favorite place in the world."

"Ooh meet any cute boys?" Bree asked jokingly.

"Yes," Julie answered with plenty of sarcasm. "That's exactly what I did just after my boyfriend and I got together. Started looking for cute boys."

"Oh this reminds me!" Kitty exclaimed suddenly. "You sent me a text about hanging out with Dan and Harmony when you returned. What was that all about?"

"Oh yeah," said Bree. "Were you nice to her under, like, an enemies closer type of thing?"

"No, I just thought I'd be nice so that she wouldn't have reason to start anything," she shrugged. "Seems like it's working."

"That's what she wants you to think!" Kitty exclaimed. "Then you turn around for a moment and she's there to stab you in the back! How did you not--"

"Coach Sylvester!" Bree hissed suddenly.

"Coach wh--" Julie started, but was interrupted when Kitty and Bree immediately turned to her, pulling on her hair until they managed to get it into a ponytail.

"Ow!" Julie exclaimed once Sue had passed by. "That hurt!"

"Didn't you get the Cheerio mail this weekend?" Bree asked, rolling her eyes. "Coach Sylvester is back to coaching the Cheerios."

"What?" asked Julie. "Why?"

"She's dissatisfied with the way we're being run," Kitty said. "She's taking over and stepping down from principal. We'll talk more about it later. Just keep your high pony high, got it?"

"Got it..." Julie murmured.

***

"Welcome back guys!" Will exclaimed as he slid into the choir room during lunch and greeted the New Directions.

"You're in a good mood," Shana smiled. "Can we expect a new addition to the Schuester family in nine months, minus one week?"

A few of them giggled, especially the Cheerios, but not everyone found this funny. "Inappropriate guys," Joe said, a serious look on his face.