Chapter 4: Rite of Passage

Friday came and only Bree had given Brittany the dance solo she had asked for. We couldn't let her win. There were pretty much no prizes to this, nothing but the authority it would give the winner within the glee club. And, being in the Cheerios, I knew that Bree should not be given authority. So I decided to suck it up and remove the uniform. For good this time.

"Whoa," said Ryder as I passed by him that morning. He began walking besides me. "Someone forgot to wear their cheerleading uniform today," he said smugly. We still hadn't talked about the song, so I figured we'd never have to if I just pretended it never happened.

"Yeah," I told him. "I guess I'm just trying to show Bree that she can't dictate what I do. Or don't do. And taking off the uniform on my off time was just part of it."

"I'm proud of you for that, Julie," Ryder told me with a grin. "And you know, I happen to think you look much better like this. You look more you..."

I blushed just as we reached Amity and Dan. They were in some sort of conversation with Phil Lipoff, an asshole junior who liked to pick on other kids. On glee kids. 

I rushed towards them, with Ryder right behind me. "Is there a problem here?" I asked him. Dan and Amity looked spooked. There was definitely a problem.

"I don't know," said Phil. He turned to Dan and Amity and asked, "Is there?"

"Is this punk bothering you guys?" Ryder stepped in. "Come on, Lipoff, is this going to be a repeat of last year? Will I need to kick your butt again for you to leave my friends alone?"

Phil laughed. "As if," he said. Then they arrived. I'd only ever seen this happen as a freshman, to Rachel and the rest of them. And then to Blaine, Tina, and Marley. I'd seen it before, from afar. But I'd never really seen it like this, though. Up close.

We were instantly surrounded. The entire wrestling team stood there, holding cups of slushies in their hands. Ryder and I simultaneously dropped our backpacks and slowly kicked them aside, where they wouldn't get ruined. I wish I could've warned the others in time.

Just as Phil's equally douchey best friend, Bobby Surette, handed him a slushie of his own and they raised their cups, a voice halted them.

"Stop!" she demanded firmly. We watched as Bree walked through the huddle of jocks and took a stand right in front of me.

Dan sighed with relief but I knew better than to drop my guard when it came to her. "Bree..." I murmured.

"Hi, bestie," she said sarcastically, smiling widely at us. "You really should've worn your uniform today."

"Why?" I asked.

"It might've helped them distinguish you," she said as she took a step back. Then, taking a cup that one of the guys was handing her, she faked a frown and added, "Could've avoided a misunderstanding. But now... Well, we can't help it if we confused you for just a regular, glee club loser." That was the key word. Loser. Right on cue, they all lifted their cups, including Bree, and tossed the slushies at us. 

"What the hell man!" Ryder instantly reacted. He shoved one of those guys-- I think it was Phil but it was hard to tell with the syrup covering my eyes-- against the locker but he was outnumbered. My heart beat fast as another wrestler pulled Ryder away and lifted a fist at him. But then someone else knocked him over. 

"What is the problem with you idiots?" 

Jake.

"You really think the two of you," Bobby said, "this loser hippie, Miss Jitters, and the moody Cheerio can take all of us?" At that last one, Ryder flung himself at Bobby. I pulled Dan and Amity out of the way before the real punches could start.