Chapter 21: Friend or Foe

["Shouldn't Come Back" by Demi Lovato.]

Julie: See you calling again... I don't wanna pick up, no oh...

Julie knew just trying hard to forget what had happened Friday night wouldn't be enough. She had to vent the best way she knew but she didn't want to share this part of her life with anyone either. So instead she sang a song Monday after school.

Julie: I've been laying in bed... Prob'ly thinkin' too much, oh oh...

Everyone in the room watched intently as she sang. They were all wondering the same thing. Was this about Sam or Ryder? Even Ryder, who rested his head on his hands and focused on the lyrics and her voice, was unsure.

Julie: So...rry, I'm... not sorry for the times I... don't... reply... You know the reason why.

Ryder turned around and looked at John, who seemed to be concentrating deeply in the performance but wasn't looking at her. Maybe it was about him?

Julie: Maybe you shouldn't come back... Maybe you shouldn't come back to me.

Marley was confident the song was about Ryder, who had just broken up with his fake girlfriend. She herself had given her the impression that Ryder wanted to go back to her, so that had to be it.

Julie: Tired of being so sad... Tired of getting so mad, baby... Stop, right now... You'll only let me down, oh oh.

Mr. Schue nodded with approval as she hit the high notes. Her voice was more and more impressive each day. He just wished it wasn't pain which was evidently fueling her, but everyone had their own methods of inspiration.

Julie: Maybe you shouldn't come back... Maybe you shouldn't come back to me...

Julie was too afraid to look up at everyone. The room was silent except for her voice and the music, so she had no way of telling what they were thinking, and she wanted to keep it that way.

Julie: Trying hard to forget... Should be easier than this, oh oh... And all the birthdays you've missed... I was only a kid, oh oh...

John, who had been looking down at the floor, suddenly looked up at Julie. He thought about the lyrics, which he was sure had gone over everyone else's heads.

Julie: So...rry, I'm... not sorry for the times I... don't... reply... You know the reason why.

As he heard her sing the chorus again, he thought about the possibility of Julie's mom coming into her life. She would've told me if Isabel was back, John thought to himself. Then again, I basically told her she couldn't count on me anymore. Then he remembered what had happened Friday night. His phone had rang, just for a second, and then stopped. It had been Julie who called, but he figured it was a mistake. But maybe it was she that thought it was a mistake and had decided to cancel the call.

When Julie finished the song, the room filled with applause.

"That was absolutely beautiful," Mr. Schue told her as the others nodded with agreement. "Once again you've inspired me, as well as the rest of us, I'm sure." He walked up to the white board.

"Okay, somebody has to ask it," said Sugar. "We're all dying to know. Was this about Sam or Ryder?"

Ryder looked down, flushed. Julie remained calm. "It's not about either," she told her.

"Jake?" asked Sugar. Jake looked over at her, confused.

"It's about living with what life throws at you," said Julie. "Realizing that not everything's going to be butterflies and rainbows, and dealing with it. There are bad days... And then there are good days."