Chapter 7: Awkward

"Julie, wait!" exclaimed John as he followed after me in the empty hallway. He was laughing. "It was a joke," he said.

"A joke?" I asked as I turned angrily, with tears in my eyes. "John, a cow going to the moo-vies is a joke. This was cruel. How could you do that to me?"

"We used to be able to laugh about things like this," he said. "You didn't take everything so seriously!"

"That was before I realized what a danger I was to myself," I said. "If you hadn't abandoned me when I needed you most, you'd know that."

"Julie, come on," he said. "I was always there when you needed me."

"No," I said, shaking my head. "Cory was there. Kitty was there. Ryder and Sam. My dad. Even Bree. But where were you? Did you ever even visit me when I was out? You didn't even send me a stupid get well soon text!"

"I'm sorry..." he said softly as he realized how much he'd pushed me away.

"I had come to terms with our friendship ending," he said. "I figured I'd still get to spend time with you in glee this year and then you'd have to graduate and go to college anyway. But I am so not okay with being mocked for something that I really have trouble with."

"I didn't mean to--" he said.

"Whatever, John," I said, starting to walk away again.

"So what, you're just going to leave things like this?" he asked.

"As it turns out," I told him, "you really just aren't worth it."

***

"He really told you all of that?" Ryder asked as we walked into my house. I had needed a ride home after school and he needed help on his homework. So I invited him over and told him about why John and I had started fighting to begin with.

"Yeah," I said, taking a seat on the couch as Ryder sat besides me. "Kitty remained an angel and I was one of Bree's evil demons or something. I don't know... It's just all sort of weird right now."

"Well I hope you know he's wrong," he told me. "For as long as I've known you, you've been an amazing person. And hanging out with a couple of mean girls hasn't changed that. If anything, those mean girls have become nicer."

"I'm glad someone seems to think that," I confessed. "I kind of feared that John's was the popular opinion."

"Believe me," he said with a soft chuckle, "it's not. Especially not after today's little spectacle."

"That was awkward, huh?" I asked, giggling.

"More than all the love triangles," he said, making me laugh even more. Then my phone started ringing so I pulled it out of my backpack and checked the caller ID. Sam Evans.

"Speaking of..." I mumbled as Ryder looked at my screen.

"You still keep in touch?" he asked.

"No..." I mumbled, sliding the answer button and standing up. That's why it was confusing.

"Hello?" a muffled voice greeted me.

"Hi..." I murmured.

"Oh it's so great to hear your voice!" Sam exclaimed.

"There's a lot of static," I told him. "Where are you?"

"The subway," he said. "Blaine took me to one of his classes today and it was pretty great."

"Sounds awesome," I said, forcing a smile even though he couldn't see me. "So why did you call?"

"I just started thinking of you," he said, making me blush. "I've kind of called every time I've been missing you like crazy."

"So just right now?" I responded.

"What?" he said. "No, I've called you like three times a day since school started!"

"Umm, I haven't gotten any calls," I said.

"Really?" he responded. "That's actually a relief. I thought you were ignoring me."

"Never," I said, a real smile forming across my face this time.

"I want you to come visit," he said. "New York is awesome and there are so many places I want to show you. When are you free."

I laughed. "Never," I said. "Glee club practices all the time and when we have the day off there's usually cheer practice or something with my dad so..."

"Are you in glee club right now?" he asked. "What's Schuester teaching this week?"

"Friendship," I said in a mock-dramatic tone. "But I'm actually at home, not at glee club."

"Oh really?" he said. "And what are you up to?"

I looked over at Ryder, who had busied himself by starting on our math homework. "Umm..." I said. "Just doing homework and hanging out." I noticed Ryder briefly look up at me so I added, "With Ryder."

"Oh," Sam said.

"Yeah..." I mumbled.

"Well, sorry for interrupting," he said. "I'll just leave you to it then. I'll probably call you later."

"Wait," I said, but he had already ended the call. Probably?

"So that was awkward..." Ryder mumbled as I joined him on the couch.

"Yeah," I said. "Let's just figure out these problems."

"Sounds good to me," he said, understanding that Sam was not a topic I was ready to discuss with him quite yet.